HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   power on password is on (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=164260)

ted January 21st 08 07:56 PM

power on password is on

i have a compaq 6027us and the
power on password is on and
has locked me out how do i
unlock the pc. i need the hp
secret password to reset it.

thanks

HH January 21st 08 08:21 PM

power on password is on

Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd try that
first. The location of the jumper (it's usually close to the round CMOS
battery on the motherboard) and how to use it (some boards you just remove
it for 30 seconds or so and replace. On others it's moved from one pin to
another) shouild be in the docs that came with the PC. If not, give HP a
call for directions.
Clearing CMOS removes any power on passwords.

HH

William Sommerwerck January 21st 08 08:34 PM

power on password is on

"HH" wrote in message
news:-92dnQLhuKHZbQnanZ2dnUVZ_uevnZ2d@metrocastcablevisi on.com...

Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd
try that first. Clearing CMOS removes any power-on passwords.

It's also likely to reset the CMOS settings to their defaults. Be sure you
have a list of the currnent settings before clearing them.

Freddie[_2_] January 21st 08 11:34 PM

power on password is on

On Jan 21, 1:56*pm, ted wrote:
i have a compaq 6027us and the
power on password is on and
has locked me out how do i
unlock the pc. i need the hp
secret password to reset it.

thanks

The jumper name is CPWD i believe and you remove it, by default it's
shorted so you want it open.

-Fred

CBFalconer January 21st 08 11:59 PM

power on password is on

ted wrote:

i have a compaq 6027us and the power on password is on and
has locked me out how do i unlock the pc. i need the hp
secret password to reset it.

If this is a laptop, you can't change it without the co-operation
of the manufacturer, which will also involve convincing them that
you own it.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

kony January 22nd 08 12:13 AM

power on password is on

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"HH" wrote in message
news:-92dnQLhuKHZbQnanZ2dnUVZ_uevnZ2d@metrocastcablevisi on.com...

Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd
try that first. Clearing CMOS removes any power-on passwords.

It's also likely to reset the CMOS settings to their defaults. Be sure you
have a list of the currnent settings before clearing them.

It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
prevents use?

Generally OEMs have rather spartan bios options, and while
this is often seen as a negative thing it also means the
system had to be able to run correctly without some of the
more advanced settings changes available. IOW generally
there's just basic things like disabling onboard features
and boot items.

William Sommerwerck January 22nd 08 01:11 AM

power on password is on

"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"

It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
prevents use?

True. It depends on whether you can access the BIOS settings without having
to use the password.

Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down somewhere.
I have such a listing.

- Bobb - January 22nd 08 04:34 AM

power on password is on

go to

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=46302&lang=en

[email protected] January 22nd 08 05:32 AM

power on password is on

On Jan 21, 4:11*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
"kony" wrote in message

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
prevents use?

True. It depends on whether you can access the BIOS settings

without having
to use the password.

Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down

somewhere.
I have such a listing.

With tthe older PCs and parallel port printers, you could do a
'printscreen' of the bios settings. Is that a possibility with USB
printers?

GG

kony January 22nd 08 06:24 AM

power on password is on

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:32:16 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down

somewhere.
I have such a listing.

With tthe older PCs and parallel port printers, you could do a
'printscreen' of the bios settings. Is that a possibility with USB
printers?

No.

I don't know that I'd consider writing down all the bios
settings all that important, unless the particular board had
some quirk in which a non-obvious setting needed to be
changed from the defaults for proper operation, and/or if
the system were overclocked then noting the o'c settings.

On the other hand if you build one system, use it for a fair
amount of time and depend on it, noting all settings changed
from defaults is conservatively a good idea. I wouldn't
bother writing down settings that aren't changed from the
defaults, there seems no point in doing that since they're
always right unless you'd changed them, and can be made
right again by clearing CMOS.