HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   P4C800 Delux "system failure, CPU check" (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=32891)

Jack Harney June 6th 04 11:57 PM

P4C800 Delux "system failure, CPU check"

Hi folks... I've had the above MB with a P4 3.0 gig CPU for about 6
months and it's been great... Today my monitor went black but the box
stayed on with the MB lights and fans spinning... After reboot the
screen stays black and I get a voice message "System failure, CPU
check"... I don't have any method of checking the MB or the CPU to
determine the culprit... Anyone had experience with a problem like
this???

TIA

Jack

RaiderNation June 7th 04 12:51 AM

Yep.
Me Exact same thing.
Turns out my ATI 9800 PRO was fried.

I suggest trying another video card.

Jack Harney June 7th 04 12:56 AM

I have an Asus Radeon 9800XT... First thing I did was yank it out and
try an old VooDoo Banshee PCI card and a S3 PCI card... Same result...
Thanks for the reply... :)

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:51:49 GMT, "RaiderNation"
wrote:

Yep.
Me Exact same thing.
Turns out my ATI 9800 PRO was fried.

I suggest trying another video card.

.. .

Paul June 7th 04 10:14 AM

wrote:

Yep.
Me Exact same thing.
Turns out my ATI 9800 PRO was fried.

I suggest trying another video card.

"Jack Harney" wrote in message
.. .
Hi folks... I've had the above MB with a P4 3.0 gig CPU for about 6
months and it's been great... Today my monitor went black but the box
stayed on with the MB lights and fans spinning... After reboot the
screen stays black and I get a voice message "System failure, CPU
check"... I don't have any method of checking the MB or the CPU to
determine the culprit... Anyone had experience with a problem like
this???

TIA

Jack

Check the power cables to the motherboard. Unplug and replug the
ATX 20pin connector. Unplug and replug the 2x2 ATX 12V processor
power connector. Sometimes they make bad connections, and a
power drop results. A connector that fails in this way, will fail
again at a future date, so this will be a chronic problem if it
happens.

Have a spare PSU handy ? A 9800XT and a 3.0C is a reasonable load
for a PSU, and maybe the PSU got a little tired ?

Another possibility, is there is a problem with the Vcore circuit
near the S478 socket. Check the capacitors for bulging or leaking,
or check to see if any MOSFETs (three legs, tab soldered to board)
are burnt. A Vcore failure might prevent post as well.

Based on the stats in this group, my money is on the PSU (especially
as you've tried another video card :-) There is hardly a reason
for other parts of the motherboard to fail, or the processor itself
for that matter. If the processor overheats, it has throttling
features and has a 135C shutdown temp detector inside the processor.

Finally, an obscure problem was caused by some extra solder caused
by the support underneath the CPU, on the solder side of the board,
dragging in the wave solder machine. There are probably a few
thousand boards with this fault in circulation.

http://www.techsupportforums.com/sho...=&postid=41955
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~nightops/eki/DSC00249.JPG

The lower right blob in the JPG, shorts to what looks like a +12V
track. The short can be intermittent, and twisting pressure on the
board can make the short disappear and reappear.

HTH,
Paul

NBK June 8th 04 01:18 AM

Paul wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Samething happened to my P4P800 Deluxe. Swapped out all the components
to no avail. It eventually would not post and i had to RMA it to ASUS.
NBK