HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq SR2010NX (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=160023)

Patty November 13th 07 09:14 PM

Compaq SR2010NX

Last year a few of us chipped in and bought a Compaq SR2010NX Desktop PC
for our neighbor. It was a special deal at Staples with a large rebate
(which we had no problems collecting.)

This year I'd like to get her a DVD-RW since the system came with a combo
DVD/CD-RW drive. It plays DVDs but does not burn them. I'm debating
between an external DVD-RW or an internal (which is cheaper and my funds
are somewhat limited this year, I'm afraid). My question has to do with
the power supply in the system. From what I can tell, it's a 250w Bestec
ATX-250-12V. I'm concerned that it will not have enough power to add an
internal DVD-RW. I could replace the combo drive, but I"m not sure I want
to do that either.

Any thoughts as to what's the best route for me to go? Would an internal
DVD-RW work with the current power supply or would I just be better off
going with an external? Many thanks.

Patty

Ben Myers November 14th 07 03:33 AM

Compaq SR2010NX

You are better off installing an internal DVD-RW, which would draw perhaps a
little more current burning a DVD than a CD. You would pay an unreasonable
premium price for an external DVD burner, also a dust catcher.

One phrase describes the Bestec ATX-250-12v: It is a piece of junk. eMachines
uses the same Bestec cheapo power supply. If and when the Bestec fails, it
takes the motherboard with it. I have a number of eMachines carcasses in my
garage with no motherboards or power supplies. I repaired an eMachines last
week, replacing both motherboard and power supply. About a year ago, I also
replaced a complete Compaq Presario P4 system because the Bestec power supply
AND the motherboard had failed. See the trend?

The rationale for replacing a Bestec power supply has less to do with wattage
and more to do with product quality. But, while you are at it, a decent
standard ATX12v power supply rated at 300w or 350w would do. Once you've done
this, it would perfectly sensible to have both DVD-RW and DVD/CD-RW combo drives
in the system.

I hate to slime a brand name, but I have to call them as I see them based on
real world experience repairing computers... Ben Myers