HardwareBanter

-   Scanners (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=109658)

Father Kodak October 16th 05 08:37 AM

How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

I can't find this info anywhere on the Nikon web site.

If I scan an image full-on highest res, 16-bit color depth and save to
a lossless format (TIFF?) how big will that file size be? If I scan a
B&W neg, will the file size be 1/3 of the color file size?

--thatcher--

Thank you.

CSM1 October 16th 05 05:36 PM

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
I can't find this info anywhere on the Nikon web site.

If I scan an image full-on highest res, 16-bit color depth and save to
a lossless format (TIFF?) how big will that file size be? If I scan a
B&W neg, will the file size be 1/3 of the color file size?

--thatcher--

Thank you.

Filesize for uncompressed TIFF is the about same as the Image size(of the
film) times the Resolution times number of colors times 2 for 16 bits.

For 35 mm film 24X36mm, (0.945" x 1.4")

Short size = .945 * 4000=3800 pixels
long size = 1.4 * 4000= 5600 pixels.

3800 * 5600 = 21,280,000 * 3 *2= 127.68 MB for color at 16 bits.
B & W would be 42.56 MB for 16 bits.

A Calculator is found he
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Roger October 16th 05 07:19 PM

How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:36:45 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
.. .
I can't find this info anywhere on the Nikon web site.

If I scan an image full-on highest res, 16-bit color depth and save to
a lossless format (TIFF?) how big will that file size be? If I scan a
B&W neg, will the file size be 1/3 of the color file size?

--thatcher--

Thank you.

Filesize for uncompressed TIFF is the about same as the Image size(of the
film) times the Resolution times number of colors times 2 for 16 bits.

For 35 mm film 24X36mm, (0.945" x 1.4")

Short size = .945 * 4000=3800 pixels
long size = 1.4 * 4000= 5600 pixels.

3800 * 5600 = 21,280,000 * 3 *2= 127.68 MB for color at 16 bits.
B & W would be 42.56 MB for 16 bits.

In actual practice on my LS5000ED this is very close. I typically find
them *slightly* larger than the calcs predict at a tad over 128 megs.
File sizes do vary but only a little.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Father Kodak October 17th 05 05:12 AM

wrote:

[...]

Wowzers. I guess I'm going to have to upgrade my system. More disk
storage, lots of it. I have about 3500-4000 black and white negs and
maybe 5000-6000 color negs and slides.

Kodak

mp October 18th 05 03:51 AM

How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

If anything, get a USB RAID storage device to store the images.
(Sometimes called a SAN)

If you want to justify a new PC, then get one with a RAID that is set
to mirror. I'd advise the external RAID anyway.

Nothing worse than losing a drive with most of your images on it.

Father Kodak October 18th 05 05:18 AM

On 17 Oct 2005 19:51:06 -0700, "mp" wrote:

If anything, get a USB RAID storage device to store the images.
(Sometimes called a SAN)

Or, get some really big drives for one of my systems. Probably a SATA
RAID.

If you want to justify a new PC, then get one with a RAID that is set
to mirror. I'd advise the external RAID anyway.

Nothing worse than losing a drive with most of your images on it.

Agreed. Or losing anything else. For years I've been doing backups
to tape with good results. I have never used low-end DDS, so I
haven't experienced the problems that people have been having with
that technology.

Roger October 21st 05 03:46 AM

How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:18:24 -0700, Father Kodak
wrote:

On 17 Oct 2005 19:51:06 -0700, "mp" wrote:

If anything, get a USB RAID storage device to store the images.
(Sometimes called a SAN)

The only problem with USB (and I currently have 5 external USB drives
running) is transferring large amounts of data is slow compared to
internal drives. However with individual files and directories up to
a gig or so you'd never notice the difference. Back up a 300 Gig
drive and you do notice the difference. Make sure to have the drives
on different controllers too. If they are both on the same
controller they will get *really* slow.

Or, get some really big drives for one of my systems. Probably a SATA
RAID.

Two of the systems here use 400 Gig SATA RAIDs.

If you want to justify a new PC, then get one with a RAID that is set
to mirror. I'd advise the external RAID anyway.

Nothing worse than losing a drive with most of your images on it.

Just remember that data integrity is normally compromised by the user
far more often than by hardware.

I now have RAIDs in two of the machines, but went to striping and use
external USB drives as back up. With 4 machines I can copy the back up
drive and have far more storage for the dollar. That is on a system
now approaching 4 terabytes.

If you trash a file on your RAID the chances are you have also trashed
the mirror image. Even if it's an interruption while writing you will
normally get them both.

You can get very expensive RAIDS that will not trash due to hard ware
problems, but they still can do nothing for the user problem.

As for USB RAIDs they don't make sense to me as there is no need for
mirroring on an external drive if you already have another drive with
the same images. That and the external drives are slower so you gain
nothing by striping.

Mirroring a backup drive does nothing, or very little for your data
integrity. Duplicating a backup drive does a lot.

I have the files on one machine and they are backed up across a
gigabit network to an external drive on another machine in a different
building.

Agreed. Or losing anything else. For years I've been doing backups
to tape with good results. I have never used low-end DDS, so I
haven't experienced the problems that people have been having with
that technology.

As I've said before, the (multinational) corporation where I worked
only used tape drives for short term and these were high end drives.
We even had a robot running up and down the aisle selecting tapes.
OTOH We were moving to all optical, system by system.

Dennis October 24th 05 03:16 AM

How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

Kodak,

You have a daunting task ahead of you. I have a Nikon 5000 and have scanned
nearly 1000 negatives at 4000 dpi. As fast as the 500 is, it seems like I
have been at it for an eternity. And after a while the whirring noise of
the scanner will test your sanity.

Now here's, the bad news. Unless you are just going to scan these images
and then forget them, you will surely have to do some post processing. If
you use Photoshop and preserve the edits on layers, those 125 meg files will
quickly become 350 megs or considerably more. If you archive the original
scan to protect if from accidental loss or damage, that means you have the
original 125 meg file to store and the 350 meg edited version. Now
depending on what you are doing with the final product, you can "flatten"
the layers in Photoshop, reduce the color bit depth, and probably reduce the
image size. That will get your post processed file size down to something
manageable.

Good luck.

wrote:

. ..

Father Kodak October 24th 05 09:36 AM

How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:16:05 -0400, "Dennis"
wrote:

Kodak,

You have a daunting task ahead of you. I have a Nikon 5000 and have scanned
nearly 1000 negatives at 4000 dpi. As fast as the 500 is, it seems like I
have been at it for an eternity. And after a while the whirring noise of
the scanner will test your sanity.

Good points. Most of my images are slides, and I will definitely
purchase the "stack loader" so I can do a lot of the scanning
overnight. But I do have about 700 strips of negatives, mostly 6
frames per strip.

Since you mentioned you do negatives, can you explain to me why Nikon
has an optional Strip Film Holder FH-3. Doesn't the base scanner
include a filmstrip holder?

Now here's, the bad news. Unless you are just going to scan these images

I will for some of them. In fact, I may use the initial scans as a
way to cull some images, by examining details. But certainly, for the
preferred images, I will need to do post-processing.

and then forget them, you will surely have to do some post processing. If
you use Photoshop and preserve the edits on layers, those 125 meg files will

most of my negatives are actually black and white at "only" 40 MB.

quickly become 350 megs or considerably more. If you archive the original
scan to protect if from accidental loss or damage, that means you have the
original 125 meg file to store and the 350 meg edited version. Now
depending on what you are doing with the final product, you can "flatten"
the layers in Photoshop, reduce the color bit depth, and probably reduce the
image size. That will get your post processed file size down to something
manageable.

Good points. I'm expecting that I will end up with several terabytes
of images when my scanning is all done. As part of my digital
darkroom project, I'm planning major upgrades to my home computer
network, including a tape backup drive capable of doing several
hundred MB on one tape. I know that won't be cheap, but then again,
neither will the total cost of the digital darkroom, which will
include that Nikon scanner, a "nice" photoprinter, color management
tools, a new computer monitor, several GB more memory for at least one
of my systems, and of course a digital camera. My "spec" for a
digital camera is either a D2X or the long-rumored full-frame Nikon.

All I can say is I've finished paying for my kids' college.

Father Kodak

Good luck.

Roger October 24th 05 07:13 PM

wrote:

[...]

Now you know why I have nearly 4 terabytes on my network. :-))
And two huge stacks of DVDs for archiving.