HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   One last question before I spend my cash - 2500 vs 2800 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=12716)

ZigZag Master November 10th 03 05:01 PM

One last question before I spend my cash - 2500 vs 2800

OK,

Going with the Abit NF7-S Mobo.

2500 is $90
2800 is $140

Any reason to sepnd the extra cash to get the 2800. Im sure the 2500 can go
beyond the 2800 in terms of performance....true????

Is the 2800 a good clocker?

Also, does anyone clock their CPUs higher with the standard heat sink and
fan (not to maximum, but just to get extra performance?)

baskitcaise November 10th 03 05:19 PM

ZigZag Master wrote:

OK,

Going with the Abit NF7-S Mobo.

2500 is $90
2800 is $140

Any reason to sepnd the extra cash to get the 2800. Im sure the 2500 can go
beyond the 2800 in terms of performance....true????

Is the 2800 a good clocker?

Also, does anyone clock their CPUs higher with the standard heat sink and
fan (not to maximum, but just to get extra performance?)

I have a 2800 rinning at 2251 perm 24/7 seti and work, all I did was raise the
multiplier up, I can go higher on the fsb but it ends to max out my 2700 ram
and linux is a bit more picky when it comes to overclocking the system.

The one thing I do notice is that at stock voltage the temp at full load is
only 42 cpu and 30 sys, it does for me.

I could have gone for the 2500 and clocked the fsb but that would have meant
new ram and I was not going ( read can`t afford ) to buy another gig of cas 2
OCZ :)

I want this to last out until I can afford the 64 bit chip and mobo cos I have
the O/S :)

If you are running windows maybe the 2500 and good cooling might be better for
you though.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.

dgk November 11th 03 01:32 PM

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:41:04 -0500, "ZigZag Master"
wrote:

Oh, I guess I should mention that I also have 2x 512MB 2700 RAM

Isn't that the limitation then? I thought 3200 was the thing for real
oc.

baskitcaise November 11th 03 08:13 PM

wrote:

Oh, I guess I should mention that I also have 2x 512MB 2700 RAM

Isn't that the limitation then? I thought 3200 was the thing for real
oc.

Yeah I wish I had the money when I bought my ram, but it was a while ago when
it first came out and cost me more than the whole machine put together for 1
gig of cas 2, so I have had to limit my o/c to multiplier it will do until
the 64bit gets a bit more affordable :)

Don Burnette November 12th 03 01:43 AM

ZigZag Master wrote:
OK,

Going with the Abit NF7-S Mobo.

2500 is $90
2800 is $140

Any reason to sepnd the extra cash to get the 2800. Im sure the 2500
can go beyond the 2800 in terms of performance....true????

Is the 2800 a good clocker?

Also, does anyone clock their CPUs higher with the standard heat sink
and fan (not to maximum, but just to get extra performance?)

Just an observation, and I don't know if it makes much difference - the 2600
Barton is only 9.00 more than the 2500..
Just to give a little more food for thought :).

--
Don Burnette

Michael Brown November 14th 03 04:11 AM

wrote:

Oh, I guess I should mention that I also have 2x 512MB 2700 RAM

Isn't that the limitation then? I thought 3200 was the thing for real
oc.

Yeah I wish I had the money when I bought my ram, but it was a while
ago when it first came out and cost me more than the whole machine
put together for 1 gig of cas 2, so I have had to limit my o/c to
multiplier it will do until the 64bit gets a bit more affordable :)

Except that the current Bartons have their multiplier locked ...

--
Michael Brown