HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   UTT memory chips? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=123831)

larry moe 'n curly March 30th 06 10:56 PM

UTT memory chips?

Are UTT (UnTesTed) memory chips really untested by their manufacturers,
or were they tested by their manufacturers and then rejected?

I can't believe that chip makers would produce untested chips, except
under contract, because they have to test chips to grade them by speed,
don't they?

dawg April 1st 06 10:59 PM

UTT memory chips?

I read an article about this somewhere and it's true. UTT are just what you
say. It's like Russian Roulette for your PC. The article may have been at
Anands or Tomshardware

oups.com...

larry moe 'n curly April 2nd 06 03:24 AM

UTT (UnTesTed) chips found in memory modules?

dawg wrote:

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are UTT (UnTesTed) memory chips really untested by their manufacturers,
or were they tested by their manufacturers and then rejected?

I can't believe that chip makers would produce untested chips, except
under contract, because they have to test chips to grade them by speed,
don't they?

I read an article about this somewhere and it's true. UTT are just what you
say. It's like Russian Roulette for your PC. The article may have been at
Anands or Tomshardware

He www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=199

is an article that's been quoted by several websites. Mushkin and
Corsair have admitted to using UTT chips in some of their modules, and
in my experience Kingston, which says it never uses UTT, hasn't been
much more reliable, at least with their ValueRAM. Kingston also buys
whole wafers of chips from manufacturers and slices them up (the chips
on those modules have no markings at all), but I don't know if they
classify those as UTT.

Something is really wrong when memory module makers say that their
products pass all testing but running them with MemTest86 for a few
hours reveals errors in a huge percentage of them, in my case over 30%.

Franc Zabkar April 3rd 06 09:55 PM

UTT memory chips?

On 30 Mar 2006 13:56:09 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Are UTT (UnTesTed) memory chips really untested by their manufacturers,
or were they tested by their manufacturers and then rejected?

I can't believe that chip makers would produce untested chips, except
under contract, because they have to test chips to grade them by speed,
don't they?

Don't memory chips have redundant blocks that are used to improve
yields? If so, wouldn't this imply that all memory is tested, at least
to some extent?

- Franc Zabkar

Del Cecchi April 4th 06 04:20 PM

UTT memory chips?

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 30 Mar 2006 13:56:09 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Are UTT (UnTesTed) memory chips really untested by their manufacturers,
or were they tested by their manufacturers and then rejected?

I can't believe that chip makers would produce untested chips, except
under contract, because they have to test chips to grade them by speed,
don't they?

Don't memory chips have redundant blocks that are used to improve
yields? If so, wouldn't this imply that all memory is tested, at least
to some extent?

- Franc Zabkar

Normally there are fuses that are programmed at wafer final test. Of
course if you want to buy wafers that haven't yet been through WFT or if
you want to buy wafers that have been tested and programmed and repeat
your own testing at relaxed margins I'm sure the manufacturers will be
happy to take your money.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,