HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Driver enquiry (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=40601)

Laurence Wilmer July 9th 03 10:26 AM

Driver enquiry

aep@nospam writeme.com wrote in message
I have ordered a Gigabyte 9700 Pro card. Could someone please tell me
which drivers I should be using for Windows 2000. I have downloaded
the 3.5 Catalysts from ATI, but after reading some comments around
here, would these be a wise choice to use?

Thanks,

Andrew.

I hope that's not my fault! I have found the Cat 3.5 display driver to be
the most stable (but not the fastest) of the Cat releases.
My complaints against it are focused on the confusing way that ATI keep
changing their driver download pages (for the same Cat release).
That is, they always used to say you MUST install WDM drivers before display
driver,
then they put up a page with no mention of WDM drivers,
then they put up a so-called bundle that claimed to be WDM and display and
control panel but it wasn't, it was just a display driver...

This is for W98SE - it may be better for W2K, but I suggest you treat any
"Software bundles" they put up with deep suspicion, and check the file
sizes.

Laurence

aep@nospam writeme.com July 9th 03 10:49 AM

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:26:36 GMT, "Laurence Wilmer"
wrote:

I hope that's not my fault! I have found the Cat 3.5 display driver to be
the most stable (but not the fastest) of the Cat releases.
My complaints against it are focused on the confusing way that ATI keep
changing their driver download pages (for the same Cat release).
That is, they always used to say you MUST install WDM drivers before display
driver,
then they put up a page with no mention of WDM drivers,
then they put up a so-called bundle that claimed to be WDM and display and
control panel but it wasn't, it was just a display driver...

Thanks for the reassurance. The Gigabyte card I am getting doesn't
have video input, so I presume the WDM drivers don't apply to me? I
assume I install the Catalyst driver then the control panel.

Andrew.

KCA July 9th 03 11:42 AM

wrote:

Thanks for the reassurance. The Gigabyte card I am getting doesn't
have video input, so I presume the WDM drivers don't apply to me? I
assume I install the Catalyst driver then the control panel.

Andrew.

If you don't have any video in capability then all you need are the drivers
and the control panel. Try the 3.5's, they should be fine. If you find that
they give you issues in anything then worry about stepping back to an
earlier version...
What are you upgrading from? Are you going to do a clean install of Windows?
If not, then make sure to really scour out any old drivers from your
previous card.

Kris

aep@nospam writeme.com July 9th 03 03:28 PM

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:42:15 GMT, "KCA"
wrote:

If you don't have any video in capability then all you need are the drivers
and the control panel. Try the 3.5's, they should be fine. If you find that
they give you issues in anything then worry about stepping back to an
earlier version...

Thanks for the advice, I got my 9700 Pro this afternoon, uninstalled
my NVidia drivers, plugged in the 9700, put the 3.5 drivers on and
everything seems to be working great :-)

The NVidia Dawn demo looks amazing on it.

Andrew.