HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Computer Boots and Locks Up after 5 Seconds or so (Also, Boot Floppy Disk Issues)... (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=5424)

Christopher Kurtis Koeber July 10th 04 08:24 PM

Computer Boots and Locks Up after 5 Seconds or so (Also, Boot Floppy Disk Issues)...

Dear All,
I am having a problem trying to start up my computer. I start it up and
it properly performs POST. Since I do not have an operating system on the
drive as of yet I insert a bootable CD-ROM into the drive. The computer
reads the drive and then after five seconds of loading the then stops. I
then have to restart the computer since I cannot do anything else. If I
insert a floppy disk and start the system with that I get crazy error
messages which is different for each type of bootable floppy drive I put in.
For example, when I use the Symantec Ghost 7 Network Ghost Boot Disk I get
errors like "Cannot Find PCINET", "Unable to Load Protocol Manager", etc,
etc. and if I insert a Windows 98 Boot Disk I get similar cannot find file
errors. I know that the floppy drive is working because I put it into a
working system and everything is fine. The same thing goes for the floppy
disks that I used. I replaced the CMOS battery since that solved a similar
problem that I had before but I still have the same problem. Does anyone
have any questions, comments, or solutions that I should check? Thank you
very much for your time and consideration in this matter.
Sincerely,
Christopher Koeber

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Zotin Khuma July 11th 04 09:18 PM

"Christopher Kurtis Koeber" wrote in message ...

[...]

You've probably checked this before, but FWIW, is your CPU fan running
?

Also, have you tried reseating or substituting your RAM ? I've had
some memory sticks pass the Quick POST and then produce random errors
booting up. Some just needed a firm reseating or cleaning of the
contacts, others had to be replaced. You could try running Memtest86.