HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2x DDR 512MB PC4000 (500MHz) KINGMAX Hardcore (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=11008)

SysCold August 2nd 04 08:40 PM

2x DDR 512MB PC4000 (500MHz) KINGMAX Hardcore

Here is the rest of my configuration before question:
Barton 2500+ OC'd @ 3200+
Memory from subject
MB Asus A7N8X-X, 2x200 MHz FSB
Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB

So, I was wondering why do I get so low at Sandra Memory Benchmark? It's
Int: 2970/93%, Buff: 2697/84%. I know my MB is limiting it but I also
tried setting timings with NO change in speed. Is there any way to speed
it up? RAM has at least 100 MHz free!

And another question: will there be drastic change in speed after I get
AMD64 3200+ and some 939 MB with 1GHz FSB?

By SysCold

kony August 2nd 04 10:25 PM

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 21:40:07 +0200, SysCold
wrote:

Here is the rest of my configuration before question:
Barton 2500+ OC'd @ 3200+
Memory from subject
MB Asus A7N8X-X, 2x200 MHz FSB
Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB

So, I was wondering why do I get so low at Sandra Memory Benchmark? It's
Int: 2970/93%, Buff: 2697/84%. I know my MB is limiting it but I also
tried setting timings with NO change in speed. Is there any way to speed
it up? RAM has at least 100 MHz free!

Doesn't the "-X" version of A7N8X only have single-channel memory
support? If so, your scores are pretty reasonable... the dual
channel version of that board should get (roughly) 3100/2900 at
200MHz. I don't really understand why you spent so much on the
memory but bought the budget single-channel version of that
board, but it seems to be the limit here.

Do you have memory set sync'd to FSB, probably shown as "100%" in
bios? If so you could try setting to higher % but often nForce2
does as well at 100% with tweaked timings as it would higher with
more conservative timings. I wouldn't worry about it though, a
few points difference isn't worth sweating unless specific app is
memory-bound. In gaming the vidcard should be more of a
bottleneck than anything else.

WhiteRavenEye August 2nd 04 10:40 PM

wrote:

[...]

Yes, "-X" version is single-channel, damn. Well, the thing is, I will
use this configuration just until end of year. Then I'm buying new
one... As I said in the rest of mail, proc will be 939 Athlon64 at
approx. 3000+ (but probably higher), MB with SATA and 1GHz FSB and
graphic card will be my personal pride: ATI Radeon X800 XT. Currently in
my country there are not processors for 939 and no X800 XT! That's why I
bought this comp... RAM in new comp will be the one I have right now, I
just hope it will be fast enough to meet the rest of configuration....