HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=8973)

Andy Kuo November 5th 04 02:12 AM

Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card

Hello,

Has anyone had experience with using a PCI video card on a S2882?
I've installed a video card in my S2882 and disabled the onboard video
(via jumper), but nothing comes out on the monitor when I boot up. Here
is a summary of the problem:

1. I disable the onboard video through the motherboard jumper.
2. Then I plug the video card into PCI slot #5 (the one at the bottom of
the motherboard) and connect the monitor.
3. When I power on the system, nothing shows up on the monitor (I've
made sure that it is connected to the PCI video card).
4. I've also tried disabling the onboard video through the BIOS menu,
but it does not work either - it successfully disables the onboard video
(nothing comes out of the onboard VGA port), but the PCI video card
doesn't display anything either. I had to clear the CMOS to re-enable
the onboard video output.

Here are the system's specs:

Motherboard: Tyan K8S Pro S2882
BIOS revision: v2.03
Operating system: Red Hat Linux 7.3
PCI video card: PowerColor R92P-LC3 (chipset: ATI Radeon 9250)

I've tested this video card in another computer, and it works - so I'm
sure that the video card is not broken. I would greatly appreciate it
if anyone could help me out with this problem.

Thanks,

Andy

Dee November 5th 04 01:00 PM

Andy Kuo wrote:

[...]

Since the manual isn't clear about this, have you contacted Tyan Support
about the situation? I also noticed they don't list your MB in the
video card compatibility FAQ. You may not be able to do what you're
attempting.

Hamman November 5th 04 10:54 PM

"Andy Kuo" wrote in message
[...]

Try the video card in PCI 1 if possible, an old BX Chipset PCChips board i
had would ony use external VGA if it was in there.

hamman

Andy Kuo November 6th 04 12:02 AM

There's only 32-bit PCI slot on the motherboard that would fit the video
card - the rest of the slots are 64-bit PCI/PCI-X.

Outta luck, I guess.

-Andy