HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Case for La Cie F.A.Porsche 320gb H.D. (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=167031)

wolf99 April 2nd 08 11:47 AM

Case for La Cie F.A.Porsche 320gb H.D.

Hi Folks
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the La Cie drive and
getting a new case for it?
The board on mine appears to be kaput so was looking for new enclosure
but have no exp. don't know whats good or bad or just seller jargon.

Drive has separate power supply (as in not from USB) was thinking I
could get one of those double headed USB cables to power it though,
save bringing the transformer brick with me

Also drive is spec'd to have approx. 8MB cache, is this a board spec
that I should try to match to suit the firmware or does it not matter?

Thanks

Cydrome Leader April 2nd 08 04:02 PM

wolf99 wrote:
Hi Folks
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the La Cie drive and
getting a new case for it?
The board on mine appears to be kaput so was looking for new enclosure
but have no exp. don't know whats good or bad or just seller jargon.

any generic disk enclosure will work.

Drive has separate power supply (as in not from USB) was thinking I
could get one of those double headed USB cables to power it though,
save bringing the transformer brick with me

Won't work. just get a generic disk enclosure.

Also drive is spec'd to have approx. 8MB cache, is this a board spec
that I should try to match to suit the firmware or does it not matter?

doesn't matter as long as the internal interface of your new disk
enclosure matches the drive type as in IDE or SATA.