HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   QuickRestore error (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58060)

CP September 11th 03 07:41 AM

QuickRestore error

Attempting to do a QR on Presario 5330US.
QR completes fine, no errors, reads all 3 CD's and then starts Window
set-up. Tries to verify harddrive but gives me a message not enough
memory. I skip it and then I start getting 'not able to copy file'
message. I end set-up knowing something's f'ed-up.
Compaq tell me to delete all partitions from my drive using FDISK and
then retry QR.
I do but I get a 134:4 error. What does 134:4 error mean?
Compaq tells me to call 800# and talk to s/w engineer but due to the
incredibly long wait-on-hold time I end up hanging up w/o talking to
anyone.

Euc1id September 12th 03 05:06 PM

I suggest you try making a copy of your restore CDs. That will determine if
they're defective. There's also a chance that making a copy will fix an
error on the originals. I've made copies of my restore CDs and tested them.
They work just as good as the originals to install the op system on a new
hard drive, so they're not copy protected (at least mine aren't).

I don't know what a 134:4 error means offhand, but it could mean a defective
hard drive. Check with the hard drive's manufacturer about that. Or if you
have a spare hard drive, any kind that will work, you might substitute it
just to see if it will install the op system.

There's one other thing you might try with the hard drive, a low-level
format. The drive's manufacturer usually provides that utility. It wipes the
drive completely clean. Also they usually provide hard drive diagnostic
utilities, but I don't think they always work. The best test for a hard
drive is whether it will install your op system then work OK.

So those things should rule out defective CDs and a defective hard drive.
Seems like a good place to start the troubleshooting. Alas, we are often
thrown onto our own resources & ingenuity to fix such things, and tech
support can only do so much.
--
Euc1id