HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Presario SR1503WM (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=158206)

[email protected] October 5th 07 12:55 PM

Presario SR1503WM

I have a friend who did a dumb-a** thing and bought a Compaq Presario
SR1503WM a little over a year ago.

He never created the back-up/rescue CD's and now the PC crashed (I
believe the registry became corrupted, and I may be able to fix that).
However, he called HP/Compaq to order the CD(s). They were out and
aren't going to restock.

Is there any way I can get my hands on a set of these CD's or is there
another alternative (besides troubleshooting the registry problems)?

Thanks for any help.

Rich

P.S. BTW, I stick to Dell, not that they're without problems, but I'm
pretty comfortable working with them.

William R. Walsh October 6th 07 06:27 AM

Presario SR1503WM

Hi!

I have a friend who did a dumb-a** thing and bought a Compaq
Presario SR1503WM a little over a year ago.

I don't know about that. Some of the Presario family were surprisingly good
systems. I got a lot of mileage out of my 5004 before a basement flood ate
it. It was used well beyond what Compaq ever intended...I ran Windows 2000
Pro on it and did a lot of virtualization work with it.

Is there any way I can get my hands on a set of these CD's or is there
another alternative (besides troubleshooting the registry problems)?

What OS is the system running? What problems are there and when did they
start? The problem might be fixable, but we'll have to know more. If it's
Windows Me...just forget it. Go out and grab a copy of XP or
98/98SE...whichever you think the hardware would be better able to handle.

You could always load a retail (or OEM, if you can get a new, unused one and
don't mind bending the rules a bit) version of Windows on it, or possibly
even consider another OS, such as Linux. Secondhand copies of Windows can be
found, just be sure they are legit before you buy.

Finally, there is the chance that someone here on the group or in your area
has the same system. Most of the Presario line sold relatively well. Finding
someone else with the same system shouldn't be too hard--ask around at
computer stores, maybe put up some flyers or put an ad in a newspaper.
(Around here, at least one newspaper has a so-called "good neighbors" column
that is free to use for "wanted" or "I have this" ads.)

William

jokerstyle June 21st 08 01:40 AM

Presario SR1503WM

;324327 Wrote:
I have a friend who did a dumb-a** thing and bought a Compaq Presario
SR1503WM a little over a year ago.

He never created the back-up/rescue CD's and now the PC crashed (I
believe the registry became corrupted, and I may be able to fix that).
However, he called HP/Compaq to order the CD(s). They were out and
aren't going to restock.

Is there any way I can get my hands on a set of these CD's or is there
another alternative (besides troubleshooting the registry problems)?

Thanks for any help.

Rich

P.S. BTW, I stick to Dell, not that they're without problems, but I'm
pretty comfortable working with them.

i can make you a set of recovery discs if you still need them i just
stumbled across this so i dont know if would be any help email me at