HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199300)

[email protected] December 5th 18 05:17 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

Hello,

My Windows Live Mail file disk image has become full (4 gigabytes).

I am now in the process of copieing these files over to a new file disk image of 8 gigabytes.

(I am also playing the Starwars Soundtrack at the same and buffering is at 30.000 milliseconds, so don't think that has much to do with it).

60.000 items like eml and nws files from windows live mail are being copied from

drive P: to drive W:

(I set the new filedisk image/file system to gpt/ntfs and 512 bytes per sector.)

What I am noticing during this copy process is the following:

As the number of items remaining goes down from 60.000 to 50.000 the speed is constantly dropping.

It started at 5 megabyte/secs or even 15 megabytes/sec... and now it's dropping
to 4 mb/sec 3.9, 3.8, 3.7, 3.6, 3.5.... and so forth... every 100 files or so, the copieing speed drops with 100 kilobytes/sec which is quite severe !

It's now down to 1.90 megabytes/sec and continues to drop !

I am now starting to understand why windows live mail was so slow starting all these weeks/months.

It's apperently a very serious issue with NTFS itself... storing all these files into one or two folders makes NTFS very slow...

Probably because it has to find the file's entries somewhere.

Now I am not sure about my hypothesis above.

I have some further information:

The 2 terrabyte C: drive was defragged very recently, up to 5 passes.

So in all likelyhood to new 8 gigabytes should be pretty consolidated, big large chucnks... very little file fragmentation.

So the question is why is the speed so low and also why is the speed dropping ?

There are two "processes" at work:

"reading"
"writing"

At first I was also considering the possibility that it's perhaps a disk/platter issue... perhaps the cylinder/track it's on is slowing down... but I don't think it would be this extreme... so I'd think I can rule that out.

It has something to do with the file system itself.

So there are two possibilities:

1. Either the reading process is slowing down because the newer files are more fragmented.

This is a valid hypothesis, which could be de-bunked by first defragging the 4 gb "drive" and then repeating the copy process to a new 8 gb drive to see if the same performance degradation occurs.

If it does occur then I will consider it proven that NTFS slows down in a big way... the more files there are in the folder.

For now MY NEW HOPE lol... is that it is a file fragmentation issue on the reading drive... and not a file system issue on the writing drive/NTFS in general.

Otherwise this would be a somewhat sad/untested design of Windows Live Mail..

I highly recommend future e-mailing/newsgrouping software is tested with synthetic generation of millions of files to test what performance will be after years of usage and adjusting storage structures accordingly to handle such large ammount of files performance-wise efficiently if possible.

Maybe if I am lucky it was reading drive fragmentation and the new drive will performance better.

Further notes of importance: the defrag tool didn't really show that much file fragmentation on this P/reading drive if I remember correctly sub 20%.... maybe even a few percent.

I may report back later with my findings.

Bye for now,
and me the force be with you,
always ! =D
Skybuck Flying, with a not so flying copieing process, will still take 25 minutes... total time probably 1 hour ;) worth it though.

[...]

More testing/defragging/copieing will be done to shed some more light on this in coming days, stay tuned.

Paul[_28_] December 5th 18 05:57 PM

wrote:
Hello,

My Windows Live Mail file disk image has become full (4 gigabytes).

I am now in the process of copieing these files over to a new
file disk image of 8 gigabytes.

More testing/defragging/copieing will be done to shed some more light
on this in coming days, stay tuned.

You could try Robocopy instead. It will
copy one folder to another, and it does the
copy without using File Explorer.

It doesn't violate the laws of physics. Fragmented
files still take a long time to copy. But since it
doesn't draw any File Explorer animations, or attempt
to re-paint the folder view, some time-waster behaviors
will be avoided.

robocopy C:\src D:\dest /mir /copy:datso /dcopy:t /r:3 /w:2 /zb /np /tee /v /log:c_to_d.log

There are various copying options. The "MIR" option
is destructive, if you point it at a destination folder
with files you actually wanted to keep. Don't use that
option without examining all the copying options first.
"Mirroring" the src to the dest, makes the dest "look exactly like"
the src, and removes any files that don't belong there. You
can even use the "mir" option for erasing destination disks...

robocopy /?

On WinXP, you have to download Robocopy XP026 from the Microsoft
site. Other OSes, the command is now a built-in command.

I find now, that the hard drives with 64MB or 128MB DRAM cache
on the controller, they handle small files pretty well. The track
cache helps the transfer rate. Modern drives have a higher
command rate than the old ones (10000 versus a few hundred).
It doesn't make a big difference, but the drives don't
seem to bog down quite as bad.

HTH,
Paul

[email protected] December 5th 18 05:59 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

The performance degradation is very real, at least with these two "virtual drives" which are based on a real drive which was defragmented recently, perhaps not entirely...

But the performance degradation is very real... same pattern is occuring.

First it was 60 megabyte/sec very briefly or so or 30... then 20... then it quickly when down to 8, 6, 5.9 and so forth.

Now some of that can be explained by "disk cache", "ram cache" etc.

But the rest of the time it seems a more severe issue with NTFS.

Unless Microsoft is completely retarded and cannot compute a "real speed/sec" thingy... I don't think their that retarded.

I hope they used a "moving average" or some kind of "sliding window" to compute "speed/sec".

I think Microsoft did use something like that, if correct then this does indicate a strange performance degradation with NTFS.

Which basically disqualifies NTFS somewhat as a decent storage medium.

Hence why I normally used FILE DISK IMAGES... in case I need to move large quanTITIES of files from one drive/computer to another.

NTFS just completely sucks at reading/writing large quanTITIES of files.

No real surprise there... though now in 2018/windows 7... still stucking at this ?!

Can somebody please design/invent something better perhaps ?!

I am assuming it's an issue with NTFS and not IBM/Hitatchi harddisk reading/writing...

Performance is now down to 4 megabyte/sec and dropping like a BAD JAMES BOND movie...

I am not really amuzed by this and the files aren't even that big... mostly 4 kb, 2kb, the occasional 3 megabyte photo file.

So all-in-all very strange performance degradation.

I am glad NTFS exists cause inventing something like that might be a bit hard/tricky but I do feel like there something be something better possible.... that doesn't degrade so badly.

In case you were wondering how I performed/confirmed this suspicion it was done/and currently is doing as follows:

1. I created another virtual disk with computer management...

2. Formatted it quickly.

3. Then performed the same kind of copy from drive to drive (testtesttest).

What's even more alarming is that I did set VCL media player buffering (assuming it's working to not 30 seconds.... but even 60 seconds... I also tried to 300 milliseconds setting, it's not really influecing this test in any big way, currently 60 seconds is being used).

The performance degradation is real and dropping.... right now 3.24 megabyte/sec ?!

This kinda makes me go WTF ?!? hmmmm....

Probably seeks per second limitation. Harddisk can do about 100 i/o operations...

So copieing/seeking all these tiny little ****ty files... it's struggling with that...

But why is the bandwidth constantly dropping ? This seems a bit weird... it's like the NTFS accounting is GROWING... slowing it down significantly...

It's like NTFS has to see some kind of table first... find some kind of free entry... and dump/copy the file there... this should be done better somehow... but for example maintaining a pointer to the first free entry or so.... so it doesn't constantly have to seek this as well...

And/or I suspect it's going through some kind of list of entries/blocks/sectors... something like that...

As this list grows it slows down... which kinda sucks.

I have seen enough... the performance problem of copieing these ****ty little files is real.

Let's compute some numbers.

100 x 2 kb = 400 kilobyte/sec copies if all files were 2kb... ok 2 megabytes is not so bad.

Also what is up with "system" creating vhd disks ?! it cannot be throttled ?! it doesn't even show up in resource monitor ?!

Bit strange...

I also want throttling for all kinds of bandwidth/i/o in windows next version, but that is a different topic !

Take care Luke and Han lol.

Bye,
Skybuck.

[email protected] December 5th 18 06:13 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

Thx for the robocopy suggestion, seen it suggested before, but this is completely out of the question =D

The copy must be performend flawlessly.

A typo screwing everything up is unacceptable LOL.

THIS IS NOT LINOX, THIS_IS_WINDOOOOOSSSSS =D LOL.

Say that with DARTH VADER LIKE VOICE LOL.

Sorry could not resist.

But I rather have a slow/safe copy... then something shady that has the potential to screw up.

Windows 7 has a pretty good copy screen... doesn't draw too much animations... seems ok... just 1 update per second or so.

So don't think it's the animations at fault at all...

Thus robocopy seems useless in this regard.

Though I could try it sometime just to see if it has better performance but I have strong feeling it won't.

The command line options you showed seem insanely complex why ?

Now that I have this test drive I will do a test... just to see what it's like to run robocopy... hopefully nothing goes to bad.

I have two copies of my windows live mail folder... so an experiment is ok.

Here goes:

I will use your command line options though I don't quite understand all of them but seems somewhat ok:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Skybuckcd\

C:\w:

W:\dir
Volume in drive W is Windows Live Mail
Volume Serial Number is 103F-69D4

Directory of W:\

05/12/2018 17:23 DIR Windows Live Mail
0 File(s) 0 bytes
1 Dir(s) 4,536,350,720 bytes free

W:\robocopy W:\ R:\ /mir /copy:datso /dcopy:t /r:3 /w:2 /zb /np /tee /v /log:c_

Result:

W:\robocopy W:\ R:\ /mir /copy:datso /dcopy:t /r:3 /w:2 /zb /np /tee /v /log:c_
to_d.log

Log File : W:\c_to_d.log

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Dec 05 18:10:27 2018

Source : W:\
Dest : R:\

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /V /TEE /S /E /COPY:DATSO /DCOPY:T /PURGE /MIR /ZB /NP /R:3 /W:2

ERROR : You do not have the Backup and Restore Files user rights.
***** You need these to perform Backup copies (/B or /ZB).

ERROR : Robocopy ran out of memory, exiting.
ERROR : Invalid Parameter #%d : "%s"

ERROR : Invalid Job File, Line #%d :"%s"

Started : %hs

Source %c

Dest %c
Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
/MIR :: Mirror a complete directory tree.

For more usage information run ROBOCOPY /?

**** /MIR can DELETE files as well as copy them !

W:\Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
'Microsoft' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
'Copyright' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\
W:\C:\Users\Skybuckcd\
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

W:\
W:\C:\w:
Access is denied.

W:\
W:\W:\dir
'W:\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\ Volume in drive W is Windows Live Mail
'Volume' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\ Volume Serial Number is 103F-69D4
'Volume' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\
W:\ Directory of W:\
'Directory' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\
W:\05/12/2018 17:23 DIR Windows Live Mail
'05' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\ 0 File(s) 0 bytes
'0' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\ 1 Dir(s) 4,536,350,720 bytes free
'1' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

W:\
W:\W:\robocopy W:\ R:\ /mir /copy:datso /dcopy:t /r:3 /w:2 /zb /np /tee /v /lo
g:c_

When I click my mouse button it does this insanely stupid paste which might trigger accidently/valid commands... so it's insanely dangerous to run/use ms-dos prompt at all.

But I will test my own command line options as a basic start:

robocopy w:\ r:\

I tried some others, could not get it working.

This is the ****ties command line tool I have ever had the displeasure of working with.

I will now stop with this robocopy experiment cause it's insanely dangerous and stupid =D

C:\Users\Skybuckw:

W:\robocopy w: r:

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Dec 05 18:12:58 2018

Source : W:\
Dest : R:\

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /COPY:DAT /R:1000000 /W:30

3 W:\
100% New File 1268 c_to_d.log
100% New File 0 dir
100% New File 0 Windows

Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras
Dirs : 1 0 1 0 0 0
Files : 3 3 0 0 0 0
Times : 0:00:00 0:00:00 0:00:00 0:00:00

Speed : 66736 Bytes/sec.
Speed : 3.818 MegaBytes/min.

Ended : Wed Dec 05 18:12:58 2018

W:\robocopy w:\*.* r:\*.*

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Dec 05 18:13:10 2018

Source -
Dest -

Files :
Options : /COPY:DAT /R:1000000 /W:30

ERROR : Invalid Parameter #1 : "w:\*.*"

[email protected] December 5th 18 06:22 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

I regret running this stupid robocopy crap...

It created a few unwanted files on the destination drive I just copied.

Now I am not sure if everything is intact... and no unwanted files there...

Though it doesn't seem to bad.

It created three files, can you figure out why ? ;) =D

I deleted them from the root...

I could run a "code compare" tool to do a folder comparision.

But I don't feel like comparing 60.000 items right now.

Not even sure if this tool can handle it.

The processing time must be huge I guess so it's no use running this.

For now I will have to assume no real problems will occur from this little experiment.

Even in some file ended up in r:\windows live mail\ folder then I can live with that.

Good thing I always add a main folder to every drive for stupid issues/occurences like this.

Cause otherwise I would have had to filter these ****ty files out of the main folder... if there were actually files there...

Could only do it on dates... if dates were modified/adjusted to current time it might get a little tricky but for now it's ok.

Why the **** robocopy fails to copy like this:

robocopy r: w:

or even

robocopy r:\ w:\

also FAILED ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why the **** does it fail so badly ?!

This is completely insane...

It produced some weird copies.

This tool is so dangerous it should be deleted but for now I will let it be...

Maybe sometime in the future I will experiment with it in a virtual machine... maybe in windows 10.

But for now I have seen enough.. it's insanely stupid.

Don't suggest it again pls...

If a copy tool can't hande A: B: or C: D: then it's just ****ing stupid and dangerous.

Maybe in the future I will change my mind, but don't bet on it

Signed,
Skybuck,
Who used MS-Dos 5.0 and 6.22 for many years in the past =D

[email protected] December 5th 18 06:27 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

Analyzing the log I showed it seems to be the piping command:

That created some files.

I am very disappointed in robocopy, for example:

robocopy w:\*.* r:\*.*

Should work....

It should recgonized the wild cards.... it should copy the main folder over to the other drive.

Yet it horribly fails.

So here is a question for you ?

How the **** can this tool actually copy a folder and all it's sub folders ?!

It's very simply:

R contains a folder "Windows Live Mail"

this should be copied to W

so that W looks like:

W:\Windows Live Mail\ plus everything else that is on this R drive.

How the **** a programmer screws up this main functionality is beyond me really.

Perhaps we should be glad... cause if I accidently did:

robocopy r: c: or something stupid then god knows what might happen to my system drive ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

[email protected] December 5th 18 06:29 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

Ok, I see it has this special /mir command line parameter.

I will do one final test just to see if this thing can work and how fast it works.

W:\robocopy

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Dec 05 18:29:12 2018

Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
/MIR :: Mirror a complete directory tree.

For more usage information run ROBOCOPY /?

**** /MIR can DELETE files as well as copy them !

W:\robocopy w: r: /MIR

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Dec 05 18:29:27 2018

Source : W:\
Dest : R:\

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /S /E /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /R:1000000 /W:30

0 W:\
New Dir 0 W:\$RECYCLE.BIN\
New Dir 1 W:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-1780318884-1675664032-1
47597042-1000\
100% New File 129 desktop.ini
New Dir 367 W:\Windows Live Mail\
New File 1102 account{CC5F06B3-0189-4719-80A9-
100% 106985}.oeaccount
New File 1224 account{D7CD8E8B-DA46-4030-8FBA-
100% 160488}.oeaccount
100% New File 8192 edb.chk
100% New File 2.0 m edb.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18068.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18069.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806A.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806B.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806C.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806D.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806E.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806F.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18070.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18071.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18072.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18073.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18074.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18075.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18076.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18077.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18078.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18079.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807A.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807B.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807C.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807D.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807E.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807F.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18080.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18081.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18082.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18083.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18084.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18085.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18086.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18087.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18088.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18089.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808A.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808B.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808C.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808D.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808E.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808F.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18090.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18091.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18092.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18093.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18094.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18095.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18096.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18097.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18098.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb18099.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809A.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809B.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809C.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809D.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809E.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809F.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A0.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A1.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A2.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A3.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A4.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A5.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A6.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A7.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A8.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A9.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AA.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AB.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AC.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AD.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AE.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AF.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B0.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B1.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B2.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B3.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B4.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B5.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B6.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B7.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B8.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B9.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BA.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BB.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BC.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BD.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BE.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BF.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C0.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C1.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C2.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C3.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C4.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C5.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C6.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C7.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C8.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C9.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CA.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CB.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CC.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CD.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CE.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CF.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180D0.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180D1.log
100% New File 2.0 m edb180D2.log
25% New File 2.0 m edb180D3.log

This completely sucks...

It does not show any progress or speed indicator ?!

How the **** am I supposed to know how fast this is copieing my files ?!

Or how long it will take ?!?!?!?!?!

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

[email protected] December 5th 18 06:32 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

I am absolutely disabling mouse button functionality... cause it's ****ing dangerous as hell:

'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18089.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1808A.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1808B.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1808C.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1808D.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1808E.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1808F.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18090.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18091.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18092.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18093.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18094.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18095.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18096.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18097.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18098.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb18099.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1809A.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1809B.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1809C.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1809D.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1809E.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb1809F.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A0.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A1.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A2.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A3.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A4.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A5.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A6.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A7.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A8.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180A9.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180AA.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180AB.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180AC.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180AD.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180AE.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180AF.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B0.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B1.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B2.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B3.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B4.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B5.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B6.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B7.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B8.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180B9.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180BA.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180BB.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180BC.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180BD.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180BE.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180BF.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C0.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C1.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C2.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C3.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C4.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C5.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C6.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C7.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C8.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180C9.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180CA.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180CB.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180CC.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180CD.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180CE.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180CF.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180D0.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180D1.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck100% New File 2.0 m edb180D2.log
'100%' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Skybuck

Anyway I will try and figure out these command line parameters by pasting them here in a bit more readable editor:

C:\Users\Skybuckrobocopy

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Dec 05 18:32:33 2018

Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
/MIR :: Mirror a complete directory tree.

For more usage information run ROBOCOPY /?

**** /MIR can DELETE files as well as copy them !

C:\Users\Skybuckrobocopy /?

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Dec 05 18:32:36 2018

Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination [file [file]...] [options]

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
file :: File(s) to copy (names/wildcards: default is "*.*").

::
:: Copy options :
::
/S :: copy Subdirectories, but not empty ones.
/E :: copy subdirectories, including Empty ones.
/LEV:n :: only copy the top n LEVels of the source directory tree.

/Z :: copy files in restartable mode.
/B :: copy files in Backup mode.
/ZB :: use restartable mode; if access denied use Backup mode.
/EFSRAW :: copy all encrypted files in EFS RAW mode.

/COPY:copyflag[s] :: what to COPY for files (default is /COPY:DAT).
(copyflags : D=Data, A=Attributes, T=Timestamps).
(S=Security=NTFS ACLs, O=Owner info, U=aUditing info).

/DCOPY:T :: COPY Directory Timestamps.

/SEC :: copy files with SECurity (equivalent to /COPY:DATS).
/COPYALL :: COPY ALL file info (equivalent to /COPY:DATSOU).
/NOCOPY :: COPY NO file info (useful with /PURGE).

/SECFIX :: FIX file SECurity on all files, even skipped files.
/TIMFIX :: FIX file TIMes on all files, even skipped files.

/PURGE :: delete dest files/dirs that no longer exist in source.
/MIR :: MIRror a directory tree (equivalent to /E plus /PURGE).

/MOV :: MOVe files (delete from source after copying).
/MOVE :: MOVE files AND dirs (delete from source after copying).

/A+:[RASHCNET] :: add the given Attributes to copied files.
/A-:[RASHCNET] :: remove the given Attributes from copied files.

/CREATE :: CREATE directory tree and zero-length files only.
/FAT :: create destination files using 8.3 FAT file names only.
/256 :: turn off very long path ( 256 characters) support.

/MON:n :: MONitor source; run again when more than n changes seen.
/MOT:m :: MOnitor source; run again in m minutes Time, if changed.

/RH:hhmm-hhmm :: Run Hours - times when new copies may be started.
/PF :: check run hours on a Per File (not per pass) basis.

/IPG:n :: Inter-Packet Gap (ms), to free bandwidth on slow lines.

/SL :: copy symbolic links versus the target.

/MT[:n] :: Do multi-threaded copies with n threads (default 8).
n must be at least 1 and not greater than 128.
This option is incompatible with the /IPG and /EFSRAW opt
ions.
Redirect output using /LOG option for better performance.

::
:: File Selection Options :
::
/A :: copy only files with the Archive attribute set.
/M :: copy only files with the Archive attribute and reset it.
/IA:[RASHCNETO] :: Include only files with any of the given Attributes set.
/XA:[RASHCNETO] :: eXclude files with any of the given Attributes set.

/XF file [file]... :: eXclude Files matching given names/paths/wildcards.
/XD dirs [dirs]... :: eXclude Directories matching given names/paths.

/XC :: eXclude Changed files.
/XN :: eXclude Newer files.
/XO :: eXclude Older files.
/XX :: eXclude eXtra files and directories.
/XL :: eXclude Lonely files and directories.
/IS :: Include Same files.
/IT :: Include Tweaked files.

/MAX:n :: MAXimum file size - exclude files bigger than n bytes.
/MIN:n :: MINimum file size - exclude files smaller than n bytes.

/MAXAGE:n :: MAXimum file AGE - exclude files older than n days/date.
/MINAGE:n :: MINimum file AGE - exclude files newer than n days/date.
/MAXLAD:n :: MAXimum Last Access Date - exclude files unused since n.
/MINLAD:n :: MINimum Last Access Date - exclude files used since n.
(If n 1900 then n = n days, else n = YYYYMMDD date).

/XJ :: eXclude Junction points. (normally included by default).

/FFT :: assume FAT File Times (2-second granularity).
/DST :: compensate for one-hour DST time differences.

/XJD :: eXclude Junction points for Directories.
/XJF :: eXclude Junction points for Files.

::
:: Retry Options :
::
/R:n :: number of Retries on failed copies: default 1 million.
/W:n :: Wait time between retries: default is 30 seconds.

/REG :: Save /R:n and /W:n in the Registry as default settings.

/TBD :: wait for sharenames To Be Defined (retry error 67).

::
:: Logging Options :
::
/L :: List only - don't copy, timestamp or delete any files.
/X :: report all eXtra files, not just those selected.
/V :: produce Verbose output, showing skipped files.
/TS :: include source file Time Stamps in the output.
/FP :: include Full Pathname of files in the output.
/BYTES :: Print sizes as bytes.

/NS :: No Size - don't log file sizes.
/NC :: No Class - don't log file classes.
/NFL :: No File List - don't log file names.
/NDL :: No Directory List - don't log directory names.

/NP :: No Progress - don't display percentage copied.
/ETA :: show Estimated Time of Arrival of copied files.

/LOG:file :: output status to LOG file (overwrite existing log).
/LOG+:file :: output status to LOG file (append to existing log).

/UNILOG:file :: output status to LOG file as UNICODE (overwrite existing
log).
/UNILOG+:file :: output status to LOG file as UNICODE (append to existing
log).

/TEE :: output to console window, as well as the log file.

/NJH :: No Job Header.
/NJS :: No Job Summary.

/UNICODE :: output status as UNICODE.

::
:: Job Options :
::
/JOB:jobname :: take parameters from the named JOB file.
/SAVE:jobname :: SAVE parameters to the named job file
/QUIT :: QUIT after processing command line (to view parameters).

/NOSD :: NO Source Directory is specified.
/NODD :: NO Destination Directory is specified.
/IF :: Include the following Files.

C:\Users\Skybuck

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

[email protected] December 5th 18 06:42 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

Disabling the mouse is done by clicking on the title bar of cmd.exe window and going to properties and disabling "quick edit mode".

Quick edit mode is insane.

Anyway I will try the following command:

robocopy w: r: /MIR /ETA

This is the last damn thing I am going to try and if I don't like it, this will be the end of it, though I did already noticed "lagging in sound playback" so this could indicate it's somewhat faster perhaps.

Here goes:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Skybuckr:

R:\dir
Volume in drive R is TestTestTest
Volume Serial Number is D4F6-722F

Directory of R:\

File Not Found

R:\w:

W:\dir
Volume in drive W is Windows Live Mail
Volume Serial Number is 103F-69D4

Directory of W:\

05/12/2018 17:23 DIR Windows Live Mail
0 File(s) 0 bytes
1 Dir(s) 4,536,350,720 bytes free

W:\robocopy w: r: /MIR /ETA

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows

Started : Wed Dec 05 18:40:02 2018

Source : W:\
Dest : R:\

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /S /E /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /ETA /R:1000000 /W:30

0 W:\
0 W:\$RECYCLE.BIN\
1 W:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-1780318884-1675664032-1
47597042-1000\
New Dir 367 W:\Windows Live Mail\
New File 1102 account{CC5F06B3-0189-4719-80A9-
100% 106985}.oeaccount
New File 1224 account{D7CD8E8B-DA46-4030-8FBA-
100% 160488}.oeaccount 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 8192 edb.chk 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18068.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18069.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806A.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806B.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806C.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806D.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806E.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1806F.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18070.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18071.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18072.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18073.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18074.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18075.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18076.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18077.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18078.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18079.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807A.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807B.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807C.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807D.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807E.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1807F.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18080.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18081.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18082.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18083.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18084.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18085.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18086.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18087.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18088.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18089.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808A.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808B.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808C.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808D.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808E.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1808F.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18090.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18091.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18092.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18093.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18094.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18095.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18096.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18097.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18098.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb18099.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809A.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809B.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809C.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809D.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809E.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb1809F.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A0.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A1.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A2.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A3.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A4.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A5.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A6.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A7.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A8.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180A9.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AA.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AB.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AC.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AD.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AE.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180AF.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B0.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B1.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B2.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B3.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B4.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B5.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B6.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B7.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B8.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180B9.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BA.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BB.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BC.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BD.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BE.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180BF.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C0.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C1.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C2.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C3.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C4.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C5.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C6.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C7.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C8.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180C9.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CA.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CB.log 18:40 - 18:40
100% New File 2.0 m edb180CC.log 18:40 - 18:40
50% New File 2.0 m edb180CD.log 18:40 - 18:40

What a stupid ****ing tool lol.

It only SHOWS ETA per file ?! ****ING LAUGHABLE.

Sorry Paul.

You tried your best.

But this tool seems horrible, unless you can find me a command line option which can compute ETA for all files to be copied ?!

Clearly Windows Explorer is superior in every regard.

It first "cataloges/inventaris" the total ammount of files... and then proceed from that list.

I am sure robocopy has it's uses... specially when windows explorer might run out of memory.

But so far windows explorer was capable of copieing 60.000 files.

So for now windows explorer is king... and robocopy can go **** itself for now =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

[email protected] December 5th 18 06:50 PM

Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performance degradation

Interestingly enough the following is happening:

I just started Windows Live Mail without shutting down any file disk images..

It is now trying to access the P drive which is all full and now it says:

"Recovering the Windows Live Mail database..."

This is a bit unfortunate... I don't want it to do that.

I just want it to start up so I can change the location of it's database to the new drive location.

I know I can do this by shutting down the P drive which is a bit an adventage of using file disk images in case the drive goes full.

At least windows live mail won't be able to find it's database and return into default configuration allowing me to access it and change it's location to the new drive and restart it.

However now I am slightly worried during the last windows live mail shutdown that it might have done something wrong cause it was out of drive space.

Also I see no way for windows live mail to recover the database on the drive P which is full...

So this is a bit weird software logic design. Perhaps it's deleting/pruning some crap... but probably not... it's probably a gigantic waste of time waiting for this to complete, but for now I will run it for a bit to see what and if it does anything decent.

Otherwise I will have to shut it down and dismount the P drive to get back into windows live mail.

Then I hope the new W drive will work as expected.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.