HardwareBanter

-   -   Direct X9 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=49929)

Bill July 27th 03 08:19 PM

Direct X9

Is DirectX9 a hardware or driver issue? I am thinking of getting a Ti4600
but apparently it does not support version 9. If not which NVIDIA card
supports V9

Thanks

Bill

Brad July 27th 03 08:47 PM

It supports DX9 just fine, it just doesn't accelerate any new DX9 features
(newer revisions of pixel and vertex shaders, etc). The FX series
"supports" in hardware DX9. Many games being released for DX9 don't really
need DX9 hardware to run, such as GTA:VC, since in most respects they are
little different from DX8 games.

B July 27th 03 10:51 PM

Direct X 9.0 functionality within games with specific Direct X 9.0 written
in them (features) are supported only by the FX NVIDIA series cards. If you
have a game which supports Direct X 9.0 and you have an older card like a Ti
series card you'll be able to play the game but special features of Direct X
9.0 written into the game are only visable with Direct X 9.0 supported
hardware video cards.

regards

magnulus July 28th 03 11:02 AM

Not every DirectX 9 game (will) have DirectX 9 graphics features. Most
DirectX 8 games, after all, didn't require you to have a pixel or vertex
shader graphic card.

aep@nospam writeme.com July 28th 03 01:39 PM

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:10:52 +0200, wrote:

Rise of Nations requires DX9.

Must be some weird Microsoft thing.

DirectX is not just Direct3D.

Andrew.