HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=135200)

Yousuf Khan September 5th 06 05:42 AM

Intel drops Pentium 4 power a lot

Pentium D's going from 130W to 95W, and Pentium 4's going from 86W to 65W.

willbill September 5th 06 06:26 AM

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Pentium D's going from 130W to 95W, and Pentium 4's going from 86W to 65W.

wow, tough stuff!

at least, if true

and depending on how the revised
P4's stack up against comparable
AMD cpu's, it will put further
price pressure on AMD

if those with recent P4 mobos can't
make use of the new cooler P4 cpu's,
there will be great unhappiness with
those who've just bought a P4 mobo

i also note that AMD finally dropped
prices on their 940 Opty's, but i think
i'll wait another few months and see
what things look like then. :)

bill

Yousuf Khan September 5th 06 03:05 PM

willbill wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

Pentium D's going from 130W to 95W, and Pentium 4's going from 86W to
65W.

wow, tough stuff!

at least, if true

and depending on how the revised
P4's stack up against comparable
AMD cpu's, it will put further
price pressure on AMD

Dropped power just as they are getting ready to discontinue them. They
have a ton of previous P4's and PD's to get rid of in their inventory,
and those they are likely going to have to write off.

Yousuf Khan

willbill September 5th 06 06:36 PM

Yousuf Khan wrote:

willbill wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Pentium D's going from 130W to 95W, and Pentium 4's
going from 86W to 65W.

wow, tough stuff!

i mean it's like a prise fight (variant
of prize :), sorry about the "ISA"
in a recent post to you when it should
have been PCI) with a 1-2 to the solar
plexus. 1st, low power high performance
core 2, and now this with cheap low
power P4

at least, if true

i'd like to correct that to "if accurate"

i looked at anandtech and did not find
anything on this, and also www.sandpile.org

and depending on how the revised
P4's stack up against comparable
AMD cpu's, it will put further
price pressure on AMD

Dropped power just as they are getting ready to
discontinue them. They have a ton of previous P4's
and PD's to get rid of in their inventory, and those
they are likely going to have to write off.

i hadn't thought of that

i revise my "tough stuff" to VERY tough stuff

but i somehow doubt that previous P4's will be
written off; but i could be wrong given what
is going on

OTOH and having slept on it, i'm guessing that
this won't much affect server CPU prices

the reason for newegg's price drop on Opty 940 CPUs
(this past week) looks like their (AMD) intro of
AMD Santa Ana and Santa Rosa, which weren't there
on my capture of newegg's August 8 Opty prices

per chrisv's input, www.sandpile.org is a terrific
ref on current architecture, under the "impl" heading

bill

Yousuf Khan September 7th 06 05:01 AM

willbill wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Dropped power just as they are getting ready to discontinue them. They
have a ton of previous P4's and PD's to get rid of in their inventory,
and those they are likely going to have to write off.

i hadn't thought of that

i revise my "tough stuff" to VERY tough stuff

but i somehow doubt that previous P4's will be
written off; but i could be wrong given what
is going on

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

the reason for newegg's price drop on Opty 940 CPUs
(this past week) looks like their (AMD) intro of
AMD Santa Ana and Santa Rosa, which weren't there
on my capture of newegg's August 8 Opty prices

Socket F?

Yousuf Khan

George Macdonald September 7th 06 12:39 PM

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:01:34 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

willbill wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Dropped power just as they are getting ready to discontinue them. They
have a ton of previous P4's and PD's to get rid of in their inventory,
and those they are likely going to have to write off.

i hadn't thought of that

i revise my "tough stuff" to VERY tough stuff

but i somehow doubt that previous P4's will be
written off; but i could be wrong given what
is going on

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

S'always possible there's somebody out there who thinks Netburst is just
the ticket... hmm, well maybe not!;-)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

willbill September 7th 06 04:26 PM

Yousuf Khan wrote:
willbill wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Dropped power just as they are getting ready to discontinue them.
They have a ton of previous P4's and PD's to get rid of in their
inventory, and those they are likely going to have to write off.

i hadn't thought of that

i revise my "tough stuff" to VERY tough stuff

but i somehow doubt that previous P4's will be
written off; but i could be wrong given what
is going on

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers
who is going to want to buy the P4's?

people will go where a) the performance is
and/or b) price/performance/heat(lackof) is

we've all been assuming that P4 is dead,
and that Pentium M is Intel's future

this power reduction with P4 makes me wonder

i also note that Pentium M and Core 2 Duo are
both seen as generation 6 (by www.sandpile.org;
see 3rd line under "impl": PM and Core)

whereas they see P4 as generation 7 (3rd line
under "impl": P4)

not that "7" means it's inherently better

the reason for newegg's price drop on Opty 940 CPUs
(this past week) looks like their (AMD) intro of
AMD Santa Ana and Santa Rosa, which weren't there
on my capture of newegg's August 8 Opty prices

Socket F?

Santa Ana is Opteron with socket AM2

Santa Rosa is Opteron with socket F

both appear to be strictly dual core.
at least, Newegg isn't showing any quad
core Opteron CPUs

bill

Carlo Razzeto September 7th 06 06:00 PM

"willbill" wrote in message
people will go where a) the performance is
and/or b) price/performance/heat(lackof) is

we've all been assuming that P4 is dead,
and that Pentium M is Intel's future

this power reduction with P4 makes me wonder

i also note that Pentium M and Core 2 Duo are
both seen as generation 6 (by www.sandpile.org;
see 3rd line under "impl": PM and Core)

whereas they see P4 as generation 7 (3rd line
under "impl": P4)

not that "7" means it's inherently better

Considering the performance advantage Core 2 has over the P4 (and even
Athlon 64 which wipes the floors with the P4) I doubt anyone other than
those people who don't want to switch out an MB quite yet are going to care.
From all points, netburst is looking like exactly everyone said it was when
it first came out, a mistake. A big one at that, considering how much Intel
has lost to AMD durring the reign of netburst.

Carlo

chrisv September 7th 06 06:10 PM

Carlo Razzeto wrote:

Considering the performance advantage Core 2 has over the P4 (and even
Athlon 64 which wipes the floors with the P4) I doubt anyone other than
those people who don't want to switch out an MB quite yet are going to care.

It's not like the Core 2's are hideously expensive, either.

Good thing most buyers are clueless, or the demand for the Core 2
would so far out-strip the supply that getting one would be nearly
impossible.

Felger Carbon September 7th 06 09:16 PM

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

Once Core 2 starts getting sold in any great numbers who is going to
want to buy the P4's?

Anybody who wants to build computers. It will take about all of Intel's and
AMD's production capacity to meet the total number of PCs to be built and
sold this year (any 12 month period you'd care to name, for instance
starting now). Since Intel cannot produce all Core 2 CPUs at this time, the
only way the total market demand can be met is for people to buy P4s, since
that's what Intel will have available to sell. The alternative is for
everybody to not build PCs and let the market demand be ignored. Yeh, like
that's gonna happen! ;-)