HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Intel drops HyperThreading (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=105312)

YKhan August 24th 05 01:47 PM

Intel drops HyperThreading

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=37096&subsectio nid=360

Gnu_Raiz August 24th 05 06:09 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:14:37 -0500, Ed wrote:

On 24 Aug 2005 05:47:58 -0700, "YKhan" wrote:

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=37096&subsectio nid=360

It's good to see Intel making changes. I hope they open a big can of
whoop ass on AMD..... 4800+ X2 for under $200 anyone? ;p

Ed

What! you can't pay out $380 bones for a 3800 X2? I think the big question
would be when? Sure I can pick up a Pentium D 820 for $233 bones, but I
have to have that new board, and memory.

If I have to wait for a year for a dual core on board memory controller
from Intel like AMD has whats the fun in that, when I can get one right
now.

What gets me is this new per watt performance metric they are going to
push out? Doesn't VIA have them beat right now?

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/pr..._by_design.jsp

According to that url at idle they are claiming .1w, or 100mW and 20W at
peak power. It looks like Intel is getting the open end of the whoop ass
can right now. Or more like it they are playing catch up, I just wish that
the marketing team at Intel would know just what they are marketing. They
tried to sell us on hyper threading, now they will start selling Watts.

Lets just wait and see how long it takes Intel to come to market with
these new products, that is supposed to have all these new features.

Gnu_Raiz

CJT August 24th 05 06:24 PM

Gnu_Raiz wrote:

snip
What gets me is this new per watt performance metric they are going to
push out? Doesn't VIA have them beat right now?

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/pr..._by_design.jsp

According to that url at idle they are claiming .1w, or 100mW and 20W at
peak power. It looks like Intel is getting the open end of the whoop ass
can right now. Or more like it they are playing catch up, I just wish that
the marketing team at Intel would know just what they are marketing. They
tried to sell us on hyper threading, now they will start selling Watts.

Lets just wait and see how long it takes Intel to come to market with
these new products, that is supposed to have all these new features.

Gnu_Raiz

A focus on watts could drive Itanium even deeper in the hole.

Robert Myers August 24th 05 06:54 PM

Gnu_Raiz wrote:

What gets me is this new per watt performance metric they are going to
push out? Doesn't VIA have them beat right now?

No.

RM

CJT August 24th 05 07:18 PM

Robert Myers wrote:

Gnu_Raiz wrote:

What gets me is this new per watt performance metric they are going to
push out? Doesn't VIA have them beat right now?

No.

RM

Actually, I think the answer is probably "Yes."

Felger Carbon August 24th 05 07:25 PM

"Gnu_Raiz" wrote in message
news:1124903368.2908700f5f7273a4127f6aa6904e9a06@t eranews...

They tried to sell us on hyper threading, now they will start

selling Watts.

Actually, they sell lots and lots of watts right now. What they plan
to sell is lots less watts. "Less is more" - didn't a CA governor
once push that? ;-)

Lets just wait and see how long it takes Intel to come to market

with
these new products, that is supposed to have all these new features.

Everybody knows that these products will not appear in the marketplace
in quantity until 2007, which is a long, long way off in CPU years.

Robert Myers August 24th 05 07:36 PM

CJT wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:

Gnu_Raiz wrote:

What gets me is this new per watt performance metric they are going to
push out? Doesn't VIA have them beat right now?

No.

Actually, I think the answer is probably "Yes."

That you would think so was apparent from the form of your question
posed, apparently, as a rhetorical. In terms of *performance* per
watt, Intel Celeron ULV has had Via beat over and over and over again,
and I'm tired of googling it. It's been discussed over and over, and
over again.

RM

YKhan August 24th 05 08:42 PM

Gnu_Raiz wrote:
What gets me is this new per watt performance metric they are going to
push out? Doesn't VIA have them beat right now?

Also, I'm pretty sure I know what a Watt is, but not sure what a
Performance is. Was that recently defined by the metric system? Will we
be seeing kiloPerformances, MegaPerformances, GigaPerformances, or even
centiPerformances anytime soon? :-)

Yousuf Khan

keith August 25th 05 02:14 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:24:57 +0000, CJT wrote:

snip

A focus on watts could drive Itanium even deeper in the hole.

Not possible. ;-)

--
Keith

keith August 25th 05 02:19 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:42:53 -0700, YKhan wrote:

Gnu_Raiz wrote:
What gets me is this new per watt performance metric they are going to
push out? Doesn't VIA have them beat right now?

Also, I'm pretty sure I know what a Watt is,

Let's be sure what we're talking about. The measure of power is a "watt",
with the SI symbol 'W'. Units named after people are not capitalized when
written out, in defference to the person. ;-)

but not sure what a Performance is. Was that recently defined by the metric system? Will we
be seeing kiloPerformances, MegaPerformances, GigaPerformances, or even
centiPerformances anytime soon? :-)

Like Potter Stewart's porn, neither do I but I know it when I see it. ;)

--
Keith