HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   disc failure within lvm group (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=154200)

avi July 18th 07 06:46 PM

disc failure within lvm group

I've just setup 4 scsi 10g disk on a LVM volume, and created one
partition which comes up to be 36g. My question is, what happens if
one of the hard drives fail? what does LVM do? does the entire group
die?
I am running ubuntu dapper on a intel pentium III 800mhz server.

the wharf rat July 18th 07 08:55 PM

disc failure within lvm group

In article .com,
avi wrote:
I've just setup 4 scsi 10g disk on a LVM volume, and created one
partition which comes up to be 36g. My question is, what happens if
one of the hard drives fail? what does LVM do? does the entire group
die?

Yup :-)

An LVM volume is just a concatenation of some number of
physical discs.

[email protected] August 7th 07 03:08 PM

disc failure within lvm group

On 18 Lug, 21:55, (the wharf rat) wrote:
In article .com,

avi wrote:
I've just setup 4 scsi 10g disk on a LVM volume, and created one
partition which comes up to be 36g. My question is, what happens if
one of the hard drives fail? what does LVM do? does the entire group
die?

Yup :-)

An LVM volume is just a concatenation of some number of
physical discs.

Well nope! It's true that what you have is (only) a concatenation of
discs w/o proper protection, but if you reach the "quorum", and in
your case 3 out 4 discs grant the quorum, you should be able to
activate the Volume Group! This doesn't mean that you can read your
data though(!), it all depends on your FS layout and writing schema
(strpped or not, etc) or maybe on which disc you've lost, but you can
also be lucky!