HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Dumb newbie CPU question (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=5197)

sticks June 21st 04 05:18 AM

Dumb newbie CPU question

I made the stupid mistake of buying a P4 2.8G
CPU without noticing that it was a P4 "prescott"
CPU and my motherboard accepts only a P4 "northwood"
CPU.
I only noticed my dumb mistake after installing the
CPU and not having the system boot up.
Is this CPU likely to be totally damaged now?

kony June 21st 04 07:26 AM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 04:18:51 GMT, sticks wrote:

I made the stupid mistake of buying a P4 2.8G
CPU without noticing that it was a P4 "prescott"
CPU and my motherboard accepts only a P4 "northwood"
CPU.
I only noticed my dumb mistake after installing the
CPU and not having the system boot up.
Is this CPU likely to be totally damaged now?

No, it should be ok.

See if the motherboard manufacturer offers a bios update to address this.
Then again, the Northwood 2.8 is faster than Prescott 2.8, and runs
cooler... you might prefer to exchange it.