HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   customized use of NDMP data servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=67813)

[email protected] August 20th 04 02:14 AM

customized use of NDMP data servers

Pardon my question, I am a beginner in NDMP land.

We are developing a snapshot file system that can track the files which
changed since the previous snapshot. Pathnames of those changed files
can be listed with a special command.

Now I have two questions:

Can I give one of the commercial NDMP data servers on Linux
environment variables so that they back up those files using cpio? I'd
like to run something like:

snapdiff begin_snap end_snap /myfs | cpio -pmd

Suppose we want a regime of snapping just before a backup and removing
unneccessary snapshots after the backups complete, can we control that
similarly?

Thanks!

- Peter -