HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Off Group: Decent preamp for use with A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=35223)

Reed Loefgren November 8th 04 08:10 PM

Off Group: Decent preamp for use with A7N8X Deluxe 2.0

I want to rip some vinyl to .wav files. It's my understanding I'll
need a preamp between the turntable and the computer. I saw one by
Radio Shack but they aren't kept in stock and RS can't give me a
delivery date. Don't know where to begin looking for one and I'm not
clued in enough to this type of stuff to see through any sales
pitches.

Can someone suggest an actual brand/model of preamp that will work but
won't fry the ASUS? I am using a magnetic cartridge on this
not-very-high-end turntable.

Thx,

Kylesb November 8th 04 08:49 PM

Just a suggestion, but I would be tempted to buy a cheap used receiver
or preamp/tuner on Ebay rather than buy a dedicated turntable/phono
preamp. So long as the receiver has a turntable input it should have
the proper equalization circuitry.

Here's a couple good examples:
or this one:

Just try and find someone who'll guarantee it works after shipping.

I have an old Pioneer SX-939 and a Technics SA-5550, both circa 1976 ,
both are still working, the great thing about these old receivers is
they are mostly discrete components and typically repairable if they
have a problem.

Or, you could tempt me with an offer for my old Harmon-Kardon separate
tuner/preamp. I also have the 120 W mono-block amps for it, but one
of the amps is dead and in pieces, and it's one of those projects I
just can't seem to find time for, lol.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
om...

Rob November 8th 04 10:09 PM

Reed Loefgren wrote:

I want to rip some vinyl to .wav files. It's my understanding I'll
need a preamp between the turntable and the computer. I saw one by
Radio Shack but they aren't kept in stock and RS can't give me a
delivery date. Don't know where to begin looking for one and I'm not
clued in enough to this type of stuff to see through any sales
pitches.

Can someone suggest an actual brand/model of preamp that will work but
won't fry the ASUS? I am using a magnetic cartridge on this
not-very-high-end turntable.

Thx,

Here' a link to the product I'm using to rip my Vinyl through an
A7N8X-Deluxe 2.0.
I don't know if this is the best price (mines 2 yrs. old) or the
reputability of this dealer. Provided as a sample view only. Comes with
DC adapter.
http://www.beachaudio.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=986

Reed Loefgren November 10th 04 04:12 AM

Rob wrote in message news:fgRjd.313787$wV.223375@attbi_s54...
Reed Loefgren wrote:

[...]

lol

That, except for the color, is the Radio Shack unit. (Well, the opposite, actually.)

thanks!

Triffid November 10th 04 05:54 AM

Kylesb wrote:

Just a suggestion, but I would be tempted to buy a cheap used receiver
or preamp/tuner on Ebay rather than buy a dedicated turntable/phono
preamp. So long as the receiver has a turntable input it should have
the proper equalization circuitry.

Great recommendation - but the OP might find his local pawn shop is the
cheapest source of '70s/'80s preamps. They are always big, usually
hefty, and often ship for more than the winning eBay bid.

My circa 1980 (?) Akai PR-A04 pre-amp and matching PA-W04 power amp were
dirt cheap in 1998, and have served as my PC sound system since. I've
done over 100 vinyl LP to CD conversions using the Akai pre-amp and an
ancient Hitachi direct drive turntable, with excellent results :-)