HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   128GB Flash Drives Any Good? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=199140)

[email protected] August 14th 18 12:25 PM

128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

I just noticed am abundance of large capacity (128GB) flash drives on
the market quite cheap. I guess I just missed them. I had trouble in
the past with the smaller ones, so I wonder if these larger ones are
worth a trial?

Anyone?
Thanks

John McGaw August 14th 18 05:34 PM

128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

On 8/14/2018 7:25 AM, wrote:
I just noticed am abundance of large capacity (128GB) flash drives on
the market quite cheap. I guess I just missed them. I had trouble in
the past with the smaller ones, so I wonder if these larger ones are
worth a trial?

Anyone?
Thanks

So, are we talking about some random vendor on e-bay selling something and
claiming it is a good 128gB drive or are we talking about a known brand
being sold by a reputable retailer? Huge difference there, believe me. In
the past it was common for sleaze-ball sellers to have doctored drives that
reported falsified size data (when they worked at all).

Paul[_28_] August 14th 18 05:56 PM

128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

John McGaw wrote:
On 8/14/2018 7:25 AM, wrote:
I just noticed am abundance of large capacity (128GB) flash drives on
the market quite cheap. I guess I just missed them. I had trouble in
the past with the smaller ones, so I wonder if these larger ones are
worth a trial?

Anyone?
Thanks

So, are we talking about some random vendor on e-bay selling something
and claiming it is a good 128gB drive or are we talking about a known
brand being sold by a reputable retailer? Huge difference there, believe
me. In the past it was common for sleaze-ball sellers to have doctored
drives that reported falsified size data (when they worked at all).

Good catch. I didn't immediately associate "on the market"
with "Ebay". Everything on Ebay that is associated with
flash memory, is crap... to a first order approximation :-)

There is no such thing as a "bargain" USB stick.

Either they're seconds, or they're fiddled to indicate
a capacity they do not possess.

*******

Now *this* is a USB stick.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820236344

CORSAIR Voyager GTX 1TB USB 3.1

read speeds up to 440MB/second
write speeds up to 440MB/second

Dimensions 0.42" x 1.04" x 3.07"

Still fits in your pocket. And it fits in your
pocket, because the stick removed your wallet.

Paul

s|b August 14th 18 06:33 PM

128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:34:01 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

So, are we talking about some random vendor on e-bay selling something and
claiming it is a good 128gB drive or are we talking about a known brand
being sold by a reputable retailer?

I bought mine (SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.0) *years* ago from a vendor on
eBay (located in Hong Kong). It's fast, reliable, used almost daily and
it still works.

--
s|b

John McGaw August 14th 18 11:04 PM

128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

On 8/14/2018 1:33 PM, s|b wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:34:01 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

So, are we talking about some random vendor on e-bay selling something and
claiming it is a good 128gB drive or are we talking about a known brand
being sold by a reputable retailer?

I bought mine (SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.0) *years* ago from a vendor on
eBay (located in Hong Kong). It's fast, reliable, used almost daily and
it still works.

Sure, you can certainly get a good drive -- it isn't impossible. If the
drive isn't a counterfeit and isn't made by some company like, for example,
GXT, and if the vendor is likely to back up the sale. I find that buying
some things from ebay is akin to Russian roulette -- most of the time it
works out OK but when it goes bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kix3JKn08OU

wasbit[_4_] August 15th 18 10:56 AM

128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

wrote in message
I just noticed am abundance of large capacity (128GB) flash drives on
the market quite cheap. I guess I just missed them. I had trouble in
the past with the smaller ones, so I wonder if these larger ones are
worth a trial?

Already been through this with Paul elsewhere so just for the benefit of
those that didn't see that conversation ....

I was bought a 1TB (1000/1024 GB) USB thumb drive as a present. It was
extremely cheap from a Chinese seller. Sorry, I no longer have the details
but they were posted previously for the world to see.
To try to verify its capacity I managed to scrape together about 500GB of
files to copy to the drive & IIRC that took a couple of days.
Paul then showed me how to produce dummy files from the Command line. I
think I managed to get up to 800GB on the drive before I had to give up
because of time pressures. The write rate is somewhere around 6.5MB/sec -
very slow.
Probably luck that I received a good one but they are out there if you look
carefully.

--
Regards
wasbit

~misfit~[_16_] August 25th 18 04:28 AM

128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

Once upon a time on usenet wasbit wrote:
wrote in message
I just noticed am abundance of large capacity (128GB) flash drives on
the market quite cheap. I guess I just missed them. I had trouble
in the past with the smaller ones, so I wonder if these larger ones
are worth a trial?

Already been through this with Paul elsewhere so just for the benefit
of those that didn't see that conversation ....

I was bought a 1TB (1000/1024 GB) USB thumb drive as a present. It was
extremely cheap from a Chinese seller.

Please define "extremely cheap". Cheers.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~[_16_] August 25th 18 04:31 AM

128GB Flash Drives Any Good?

Once upon a time on usenet s|b wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:34:01 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

So, are we talking about some random vendor on e-bay selling
something and claiming it is a good 128gB drive or are we talking
about a known brand being sold by a reputable retailer?

I bought mine (SanDisk Extreme PRO USB 3.0) *years* ago from a vendor
on eBay (located in Hong Kong). It's fast, reliable, used almost
daily and it still works.

My experience is that if the flash drive is cheaper than say 70% the price
of a brand-name one sold through an official seller it's likely to be either
REALLY slow or fake. (As the price drops further below that 70% the chance
of being slow compared to being fake decreases.)