HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   IBM DS4000 security issue when manager is compromised? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=145861)

IP21Haas February 15th 07 04:26 PM

IBM DS4000 security issue when manager is compromised?

Is there a possibility when a Hacker takes control of the SAN manager,
that he reassigns LUN's of running systems, or that he disconnects
LUN's?
We want to install a DS4700 SAN system for some of our windows based
servers. Some servers will be on our normal LAN and some servers will
be on a secure (Process-control-Network) LAN. Managing the SAN will be
done from a console on our none-secure LAN. I was wondering how that
would jeopardize the data of our servers on the secure network.
Is it possible for a hacker (once he has taken over control of the
management console) to redirect the LUN's of our secure servers to
servers on our non-secure LAN, or is it possible to manipulate the SAN
in a way that data from the secure servers is also readable or
accessible for others?
Could he even break the LUN's link with running servers (for instance
just by shutting down the entire SAN)?

Guy Dawson February 16th 07 04:49 PM

IP21Haas wrote:
Is there a possibility when a Hacker takes control of the SAN manager,
that he reassigns LUN's of running systems, or that he disconnects
LUN's?

Why would they not be able to do this if they have access to
the SAN manager?

Any one who has management control of the SAN can manage the SAN

We want to install a DS4700 SAN system for some of our windows based
servers. Some servers will be on our normal LAN and some servers will
be on a secure (Process-control-Network) LAN. Managing the SAN will be
done from a console on our none-secure LAN. I was wondering how that
would jeopardize the data of our servers on the secure network.
Is it possible for a hacker (once he has taken over control of the
management console) to redirect the LUN's of our secure servers to
servers on our non-secure LAN, or is it possible to manipulate the SAN
in a way that data from the secure servers is also readable or
accessible for others?
Could he even break the LUN's link with running servers (for instance
just by shutting down the entire SAN)?

He's the SAN manager so could do all of the above...

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Raju Mahala February 22nd 07 05:57 PM

On Feb 15, 8:26 pm, "IP21Haas" wrote:
[...]

Its not clear what do you want to ask. If anybody has the superuser
privilege then he can do anything.
are you asking regarding password protection in SAN manager cleint ?
When you open storage manager client then it doesn't ask for password
but if you enable password then it will ask for password before every
activity through storage manager client. I hope during installation of
storage manager client it doesn't ask for passwod setup so by default
there is no password protection but you can implement.

-Raju