HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What's coming for us at 45nm (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=88698)

bill davidsen June 24th 03 09:10 PM

What's coming for us at 45nm

In article ,
Keith R. Williams wrote:

| Let's just say that only bleeding-edge fabs that produce chips
| with _large_ unit volumes can be economically be built. One can
| do high value chips with smaller volume in such fabs. Indeed
| someone has to pay the light bill. ;-)

Someone made a case a few years ago that bleeding edge works only for
CPUs, because they will sell even at a high price, and memory, because
you can make a lot of chips of really small size.

I won't try to recreate the arguments, but they seemed valid.
--
Bill Davidsen CTO, TMR Associates
this we should do freely and generously.

Keith R. Williams June 25th 03 02:43 AM

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Keith R. Williams wrote:

| Let's just say that only bleeding-edge fabs that produce chips
| with _large_ unit volumes can be economically be built. One can
| do high value chips with smaller volume in such fabs. Indeed
| someone has to pay the light bill. ;-)

Someone made a case a few years ago that bleeding edge works only for
CPUs, because they will sell even at a high price, and memory, because
you can make a lot of chips of really small size.

I won't try to recreate the arguments, but they seemed valid.

Perhaps this was true in the ancient times. Have you noticed the
profit on commodity DRAM lately? ...I rest my case!

--
Keith