HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How best to print google topo maps for hiking purposes (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=193586)

Eddie Powalski September 13th 13 11:46 AM

How best to print google topo maps for hiking purposes

I'm just curious if there is a better way to print Google topological
maps for hiking purposes?

Here's why google topo maps have an advantage:
a. Hiking maps, by their very nature, get destroyed in use, so, you want
a cheap and small set of maps.
b. USGS maps are too big and too expensive to be useful for rough hiking
(i.e., hiking in steep hills where the map takes a beating).
c. You often want to annotate the map ahead of time, with route
information or whatever, which is best done on a computer that knows GPS
coordinates

Now here is the "printer" problem:
A. Every time *I* print a google topological map in B&W (the only printer
I have), the isocline lines come out far too light to be useful.
B. I don't have a color printer (although I guess I could send it off to
a printer).

QUESTION:
Is there a better way to print Google topological maps?

Rod Speed September 26th 13 05:49 PM

How best to print google topo maps for hiking purposes

Eddie Powalski wrote

[...]

Or just buy the cheapest inkjet printer you can find. Costs peanuts.

Eddie Powalski October 4th 13 07:34 PM

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:49:36 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

Or just buy the cheapest inkjet printer you can find. Costs peanuts.

I swore off ink long ago, after dealing with HP Costco injets.

Never again will I own an inkjet printer (which can't easily be refilled
due to shenanigans by the manufacturer).

Rod Speed October 20th 13 12:41 AM

How best to print google topo maps for hiking purposes

Eddie Powalski wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Or just buy the cheapest inkjet printer you can find. Costs peanuts.

I swore off ink long ago, after dealing with HP Costco injets.

I didn’t.

Never again will I own an inkjet printer

I own two of the same model.

(which can't easily be refilled due to
shenanigans by the manufacturer).

I got the last of the Canons that don’t have
chipped carts and when another example
showed up at a garage/yard sale got
another of those in case I need any parts.

No need to refill at all, the carts are so cheap
off ebay that I just got a box of 20 of each
color for peanuts and will likely end up tossing
the last of them because I print so rarely.