HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   SCSI CDRW won't boot now (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=21697)

Bob H October 25th 04 08:27 PM

SCSI CDRW won't boot now

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right NG for this but here goes.

I have a SCSI CDRW drive (Plexwriter), and a DVD Writer installed as
Secondary Master.
Now prior to installing the DVD writer all my boot CD's would boot from
the SCSI drive, but now they won't and will only boot from the DVD
writer/drive which is a pain because that writer/drive is too slow
compared to the SCSI drive. I am not sure what the dvd drive (Pioneer
106) reads CDs at, but the SCSI drive reads them at x32.

Any ideas as to how I can get the SCSI drive to boot CDs again?

Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK

JAD October 25th 04 09:02 PM

well it may be different for each SCSI card... but mine is F2 at the
post screen
also I believe there is a cmos setting to boot from 'SCSI device'.
not to be confused with 'boot from CD-ROM

Conor October 25th 04 10:12 PM

In article , Bob H
says...
The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.
Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?

If CDROM is set as the first boot device then the BIOS will boot fro
the first IDE CDROM drive it'll find.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Ralph Wade Phillips October 26th 04 12:20 AM

Howdy!

"Bob H" wrote in message
The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.

Well, duh. You've TOLD it to boot off of the DVD.

Tell it SCSI first, and then see what happens.

Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?

When the machine boots, you should see a post about something like
"Press (Ctrl-A) for SCSI Setup" or somesuch, depending on the host adapter
you use. Do that.

RwP

David Maynard October 26th 04 02:21 AM

DaveW wrote:

My understanding is that Windows preferentially boots from an IDE drive
before it will boot from a SCSI drive.

Would be hard to see how this could be a 'windows' preference since before
it's booted the computer hasn't a clue as to what O.S. you're intending to
boot.

Bob H October 26th 04 07:12 PM

Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
Howdy!

"Bob H" wrote in message

The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.

Well, duh. You've TOLD it to boot off of the DVD.

Tell it SCSI first, and then see what happens.

Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?

When the machine boots, you should see a post about something like
"Press (Ctrl-A) for SCSI Setup" or somesuch, depending on the host adapter
you use. Do that.

RwP

I have now changed it to boot from SCSI. There is nothing in the POST
screen for scsi setup. My SCSI CDRW drive is connected to an Adaptec card.
For clarification, I used to have a SCSI CDRW and an IDE CDROM, and the
SCSI CDRW was the 1st boot device even tho' it was set at CDROM.

Now I have a DVD writer and it will only boot my CDs
The SCSI CDRW is drive letter R, and the DVD Writer is drive letter Q

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Michael Hawes October 26th 04 09:58 PM

"Bob H" wrote in message
Hi, I am not sure if this is the right NG for this but here goes.

I have a SCSI CDRW drive (Plexwriter), and a DVD Writer installed as
Secondary Master.
Now prior to installing the DVD writer all my boot CD's would boot from
the SCSI drive, but now they won't and will only boot from the DVD
writer/drive which is a pain because that writer/drive is too slow
compared to the SCSI drive. I am not sure what the dvd drive (Pioneer
106) reads CDs at, but the SCSI drive reads them at x32.

Any ideas as to how I can get the SCSI drive to boot CDs again?

Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Is a 'feature' of motherboard, IDE is given priority over SCSI.
Mike.