HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   overheat under Memtest (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198962)

[email protected] May 19th 18 12:06 PM

overheat under Memtest

I checked out an old PC - Core 2 quad. About 2 minutes of Memtest and the
CPU fan is going full scream. After 5 minutes, the heat sink is hot to
touch, so I turned it off. I believe Memtest only uses 1 core??
The heatsink is not clogged with dust, and it is a HP craputer, with
BIOS that doesn't enable overclocking.

Paul[_28_] May 19th 18 07:50 PM

overheat under Memtest

wrote:
I checked out an old PC - Core 2 quad. About 2 minutes of Memtest and the
CPU fan is going full scream. After 5 minutes, the heat sink is hot to
touch, so I turned it off. I believe Memtest only uses 1 core??
The heatsink is not clogged with dust, and it is a HP craputer, with
BIOS that doesn't enable overclocking.

There are different versions of memtest.

The very latest one may have supported more than one core.

I recommend using the version of memtest that has
traditionally worked in your computer room. For
example, I have a floppy diskette here with
"Memtest_410" written on the label, and that works
with my newest machine. That works everywhere here
and is the only floppy at the moment that I use.
I use a USB floppy drive for loading it on the
new machine (for laughs).

The options for memtest, should be in the menu.
The menu likely supports changing modes, if you're
not liking the results.

I think the author of the program, tried multicore as
a stress test, to make memtest harder to pass, rather
than doing that as a "speedup". Memtest should be
memory speed bound, rather than CPU performance bound,
so adding multiple threads really should not help.

Once you're in the menu (if you're using the
latest version), see if there is an option to
crank down the cores to just one.

And don't expect the CPU to become magically
cooler. That will still leave the CPU in a
high power state, and the heatsink might still
be boiling hot. Older processors don't save
that much power when a core is idle (not like
newer machines that have options to disable
a core while running).

As a "computer designer", remember that it is your
duty to select a heatsink which keeps the CPU cool
under *any* set of operating conditions. Sure, it's
frying right now with memtest, but it could be
frying in the OS while running Cinebench. You want
your cooling solution to keep it cool no matter
which level you're running at. If you can't keep
it cool at the memtest level, that's a problem
right there.

Paul