HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AMD heat sink paste = glue? [shits me to tears] (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=186422)

Lee Waun October 10th 10 09:09 PM

AMD heat sink paste = glue? [shits me to tears]

"Anne Onime" wrote in message
I am involved in recycling PCs for charity.
Many times I have come across an Athlon (and also with
the K6 a while back) that was stuck to the heat sink.
Since the heat sink covers the ZIF lever, you can't
remove the heat sink unless you pull hard, and the CPU
comes out too (with bent pins).
I never had this problem with Intels. The heat sinks
peel off easily.
And the few Cyrix/VIAs that I stumbled across did not
even have paste or thermal tape between the CPU and
heat sink!

Does Cyrix even make CPU's now. Haven't seen one available for a PC in
years.

[email protected] October 10th 10 09:27 PM

AMD heat sink paste = glue? [shits me to tears]

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:09:29 -0700, "Lee Waun" wrote:

"Anne Onime" wrote in message
.. .
I am involved in recycling PCs for charity.
Many times I have come across an Athlon (and also with
the K6 a while back) that was stuck to the heat sink.
Since the heat sink covers the ZIF lever, you can't
remove the heat sink unless you pull hard, and the CPU
comes out too (with bent pins).
I never had this problem with Intels. The heat sinks
peel off easily.
And the few Cyrix/VIAs that I stumbled across did not
even have paste or thermal tape between the CPU and
heat sink!

Does Cyrix even make CPU's now. Haven't seen one available for a PC in
years.

National bought Cyrix, then later, sold its CPU stuff to VIA. I assume that's
the Cyrix/VIA reference above.