HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2500+ and L12 bridge - strange thing (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=13699)

Frode Hansen February 19th 04 11:41 AM

2500+ and L12 bridge - strange thing

I used 4 days of tinkering with my NF-7 1.3 (not rev 2!) and my newly
bought 2500+ and PC3200 RAM. It just wouldn't go any higher than
180MHz FSB and then I had to use 1.8V Vcore.

In a rather to-¤#%-with-it state of mind I took a stab on it with my
Leatherman, on the number 3 L12 bridge to be more precise. (Warning: A
Leatherman is rather too large to securely do this kind of tinkering,
but in my case I guess it went well.)

Now it is running 11x200MHz at 1.65V Vcore. Prime95 torture test,
3dmark03, enemy territory - I just don't know what else to throw at
it, it's rock stable!

What does this mod really do, apart from that it doesn't tell the bios
that it is a 2500+ anymore? Does it do anything with the internal
workings of the cpu?

Anyway, I'm pleased with the result.

with regards,
F Hansen

rstlne February 19th 04 11:51 AM

What does CPUID tell you..
Your bios should say it's a 3200+ so something doesnt sound as straight
forward as 11x200

m...

Guyver9114 February 19th 04 01:02 PM

AFAIK It changes the default FSB for the CPU to 133MHz instead of the usual
166MHz.
I had todo the same for my NF7-S rev 1.2 to get above 180MHz FSB.

Frode Hansen February 19th 04 05:17 PM

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message news:tq1Zb.29$m47.3@newsfe1-win...
What does CPUID tell you..
Your bios should say it's a 3200+ so something doesnt sound as straight
forward as 11x200

Cpuid says:
"AMD Athlon XP", code name Barton, Socket A, 0.13.., 1.648 volts, family 6,
Model A, Stepping 0, ext. family 7, Model A.

2205MHz, multiplier x11, FSB 200.4MHz, Bus speed 400.8.

Benchmarks and SiSoft PR-rating confirms it. What specifically is not
straightforward here?

F. Hansen

Frode Hansen February 19th 04 07:16 PM

"Guyver9114" wrote in message
. ..
AFAIK It changes the default FSB for the CPU to 133MHz instead of the

usual
166MHz.
I had todo the same for my NF7-S rev 1.2 to get above 180MHz FSB.

Exactly my experience too, but that in itself (changing def. FSB to 133MHz)
is not the explanation to why it is so easily overclockable after the
modification. Is it something that happens to the BIOS algorithm or perhaps
something that is altered likewise in the CPU?

F Hansen