HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Won't fire? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=157111)

***** charles[_3_] September 9th 07 04:56 PM

Won't fire?

Hi all,

I just got a Striker Extreme motherboard and put in it a
QX6600. The ram I chose is four sticks of OCZ
2N1066SR2GK PC2 8500 1G dual channel SLI Ready
EPP 5-5-5-15. The video card is a PCI-e 8800GTS
OC2. The PS is an Antec 550W. The problem is that
after I connected everything, the blue lights around the
motherboard light up but when I push the little power
button on the motherboard, nothing happens. The ram
is rated at 1066 and the motherboard might be defaulting
to 800MHz. How do I get this thing to fire up? I thought
that all faster ram also ran at slower speeds. Do I need
to find some 800 ram to get it to fire and then reset the
cmos to 1066 shut it down and then put the faster ram in?
If this is the case, how to 1333 ram sticks work for
overclockers?

thanks,
charles....

daytripper September 9th 07 06:41 PM

Won't fire?

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 10:56:32 -0500, "***** charles" wrote:

[...]

If you can't even get the power supply to fully turn on, your problem has
nothing to do with memory. Either you didn't plug the front panel wires onto
the mainboard correctly, or you didn't hook up the power supply correctly, or,
perhaps the supply *is* trying to turn on but the mainboard is shorting to the
case...

/daytripper

***** charles[_3_] September 9th 07 08:35 PM

Won't fire?

"daytripper" wrote in message
[...]

All parts are laying on my table, no case to short to. The motherboard has
power button on the left side to push to start the thing so there are no
wires
to connect. There are several connection from the power supply to:
24 pin motherboard
8 pin motherboard
6 pin video card
? pin to sata hard drive
4 pin to dvd player
unless there is a cable I missed that should all work. Power supply fan
never turns on but motherboard lights are lit. Any other ideas? I don't
have a ddr2-800 stick of ram to try.

thanks,
charles.....

***** charles[_3_] September 10th 07 03:56 PM

Won't fire?

"Howard Goldstein" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:35:43 GMT, ***** charles wrote:
: "daytripper" wrote in message
: ...
: On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 10:56:32 -0500, "***** charles"

wrote:
:
: Hi all,
:
[...]

: a
: power button on the left side to push to start the thing so there are

no
: wires
: to connect.

You're missing the switch connection that should be connected to the
motherboard's power switch connection. It's two pins in a header
header that normally attaches to a case switch. ASUS has these neat
multipin white "Q connection" thingies that plug into all of the pins
on their header, you can attach something to that or whatever, you're
going to have to do something with the two motherboard power on switch
pins. Put a jumper on the appropriate pins if that other thing you're
referring to is actually the power switch connection.

The 2 pin power connector to which you refer that is supposed to connect
to the front of the case for the power switch I am shorting with a
screwdriver
or forceps or some other metal object (has always worked in the past). I
finally got a hold of the tech support person where I got the motherboard
and he suggested different ram (known compatible). Unfortunately I don't
have any of that around here, I tried to get him to send me some to try on
a borrowing basis, he couldn't. I looked up the cheapest ram stick micron
sells that is known compatible with this board and it is about $17 for one
256M stick. That would be enough to test but then if that doesn't work
the tech guy said I would have to get a replacement motherboard. Who
would have thought that one of the "best" motherboards ASUS sells
would be bad right out of the box. It turns out that the newer designed
power supply from Antec does not turn on the internal fan until the temps
rise inside it. I also heard that Antec used some really cheap parts in
their
cheaper models that made them unreliable. The one I have is a lot more
expensive so it has the better parts. Well I guess I'll order the test ram
and see what happens. I am afraid that the board is bad and it will take
weeks until my system is actually up and running. This is my first and
probably last attempt at getting a system and overclocking it. Next time
I will buy a set of parts that are known compatible since someone else
has done all the grunt work of testing what works and what doesn't. One
of the things I remember is that the box that the motherboard came in was
not sealed and I thought that was odd. Doesn't ASUS seal with tape all
its' motherboard boxes?

thanks,
charles.....

w_tom September 10th 07 06:50 PM

Won't fire?

On Sep 10, 10:56 am, "***** charles" wrote:
The 2 pin power connector to which you refer that is supposed to connect
to the front of the case for the power switch I am shorting with a
screwdriver
or forceps or some other metal object (has always worked in the past). I
finally got a hold of the tech support person where I got the motherboard
and he suggested different ram (known compatible).

Everything you have posted says nothing about RAM. Your help (even
from the memory supplier) is vastly limited by information you have
provided. Others are suggesting problems directly traceable not to
memory. For better answers from people with electronics training (and
that probably does not include the memory salesman), then two minutes
with numbers from this simple procedure would mean your next reply
says everything. No more 'it could be this and could be that'
answers. Do the two minute procedure in "When your computer dies
without warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup
alt.windows-xp at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh
Then have an answer that says something definitive - no more wild
speculation.