HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Quick fyi. It's possible to get Ubuntu Linux preinstalled on Dell (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=153893)

[email protected] July 12th 07 08:58 AM

Quick fyi. It's possible to get Ubuntu Linux preinstalled on Dell

I apologize if everybody already knows this, but I thought it would be
of interest.

http://www.ubuntu.com/dell

I see this as a major victory for the open source community, and, just
possibly, some real competition for Bill Gates.

[email protected] August 4th 07 10:09 AM

On 12 Jul, 08:58, " wrote:
I apologize if everybody already knows this, but I thought it would be
of interest.

http://www.ubuntu.com/dell

I see this as a major victory for the open source community, and, just
possibly, some real competition for Bill Gates.

Only in the USA. The UK sales site does not list it, and enquiries
are stonewalled or ignored.

Journey August 4th 07 06:14 PM

Quick fyi. It's possible to get Ubuntu Linux preinstalled on Dell

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 00:58:52 -0700, "
wrote:

I apologize if everybody already knows this, but I thought it would be
of interest.

http://www.ubuntu.com/dell

I see this as a major victory for the open source community, and, just
possibly, some real competition for Bill Gates.

I tried Ubuntu on my own and I sincerely doubt that it will ever be
any competition for evil Gates and his minions.

The GUI looked like it was designed by a kindergarten class, and the
distribution that I installed had a known problem that prevented the
display to work on a WXGA+ Dell laptop. Even though it was a known
problem, it took weeks for them to resolve it.

I think Linux and open source let go a window of opportunity. When
hardware costs were much higher, a Linux-based PC could have had a
large price advantage because it would require far less hardware to
run. Now, however, competant laptops are available at very low price
points so Linux and open source couldn't claim significant hardware
cost reductions anymore.

Palm is going to release it's "Foleo" (aka "Falieo") soon, which is
Linux based. It's also going to release some Linux-based PDAs. It
would be nice to see Linux have a niche somewhere, but the poor way in
which Palm has been executing means that it problably won't come from
them.