HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Presario 5184 - how to access CMOS setup? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58532)

Alan Braun January 12th 04 08:13 PM

Presario 5184 - how to access CMOS setup?

I acquired an old Presario 5184 recently. It had Win2000 installed on it.
The OS has become corrupt and I'm trying to install Win98 on it, after
repartitioning and reformatting the HD to get rid of all the old stuff. I'm
seeing a couple of messages during boot-up that make me think there is some
OS-specific information in the CMOS. The usual tricks of hitting the DEL or
F1 keys, like I've used in the past to access Phoenix BIOS's aren't working.
How do you get into the CMOS setup of a Presario?

BTW, the error msgs I'm seeing include:

Press F1 or F11 to start Windows 2000 (right after the BIOS and IDE
controller have loaded but before anything else)

NTLDR missing (after initial setup of Win98, when it reboots the 1st time -
I can't get back into the Win98 setup at that point)

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Alan Braun

andrew2000 January 12th 04 08:55 PM

as soon as you boot the system the Compaq logo will appear on the screen,
when a small white square appears on the top right of the screen - press
f10. All of my Compaq's are like this, hope it works for you, also there is
a bios update on Compaq site which you might be interested in. Good luck

Andrew

nk.net...