HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Xbox 360, the value of maintenance (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=196929)

Norm X[_2_] December 30th 16 07:14 PM

Xbox 360, the value of maintenance

Lately, I have seen web and YouTube discussions about Xbox 360 teardown and
maintenance. My Xbox 360 dates from 2008, but early on, there was the red
ring of death and it was replaced by Microsoft. Now the DVD drive is a
little flaky and needs encouragement to open/close. It operates in a non
dusty environment. Sometimes the OS and apps seem a bit flaky. As one on a
budget, my questions is this: If I did the tearddown and maintenance, would
it last another eight years? I like the fact that Microsoft downloads OS and
app updates when needed. But if I neglected the box for a long time, I am
sure would not likely get back online.

Thanks.

Norm X[_2_] March 6th 17 01:47 AM

Xbox 360, the value of maintenance

Lately, I have seen web and YouTube discussions about Xbox 360 teardown
and maintenance. My Xbox 360 dates from 2008, but early on, there was the
red ring of death and it was replaced by Microsoft. Now the DVD drive is a
little flaky and needs encouragement to open/close. It operates in a non
dusty environment. Sometimes the OS and apps seem a bit flaky. As one on a
budget, my questions is this: If I did the tearddown and maintenance,
would it last another eight years? I like the fact that Microsoft
downloads OS and app updates when needed. But if I neglected the box for a
long time, I am sure would not likely get back online.

I got someone with the Xbox 360 tool to do the work. Now my decade old Xbox
360 should work for another decade. Given advances in software, my Xbox will
remain upto date. But it will only work in 1080p, not 4K TV. My 180GB
storage drive should work forever unless I abuse it. Other deficits include
the controller that consumes batteries. My home network is mostly Windows
and now that Windows Homegroup works, the Xbox networks even better.