HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   help with PCMCIA ethernet card (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=58578)

handle January 24th 04 09:58 PM

help with PCMCIA ethernet card

Folk;

I have a two years old Compaq Presario 1201T laptop running Windows ME.
I'm in the process of buying a PCMCIA ethernet card for my box.

The Compaq manual (if it can be called that) only says that I have
one type I,II,III slot. I have no clue about the differences between
types I,II,III.

I have checked a couple of computer stores (Best buy, Comp USA) and
noticed that there are type II 16 & 32 bits version of the ethernet
card for laptops.

The sales folks (mostly kids) tell me that I should buy the 32 bits version
as it defaults to 16 bits if my pcmcia slot only accepts 16 bits signals.

My question to you all is 1st, what are the differences among types I,II,III
and 2nd which pcmcia ethernet card I should buy, 16 or 32 bits.

Any help is appreciated

Tom Scales January 24th 04 11:51 PM

Type I, II and III are height. That's all. Cards are Type II, which is
standard.

16 vs. 32 is different. The shape of the slot is different. A 32-bit card
will NOT fit into a machine that ONLY accepts 16 bit cards. A 16 bit card
WILL fit into a 32 bit slot.

That said, it is very likely that your machine accepts 32 bit cards (called
Cardbus cards).

Tom

handle January 25th 04 07:28 PM

Tom;

Thanks. Your response was very informative. One last question: Why do you think
my box can accept 32 bit cards. Is it because of the age of the laptop (2 years)
or is it that presario 1200 series have 32 bit type II slot and not 16 bit?.

Regards

In article , says...

Trai' La Trash January 26th 04 05:33 AM

"handle" wrote in message
[...]

Handle here's some close up pictures of a few different types of cards.
I use them in a 1247 and 1255.
http://members.tripod.com/~DAP1968/ethernetcards.jpg
Trai'