HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Hp Compaq 6510b/6710b (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=153262)

Raghav June 28th 07 12:51 PM

Hp Compaq 6510b/6710b

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new laptop for my development related needs.
I already have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron and the new one will replace
it for my technical needs.

I plan to put a Sizable linux partition (Ubuntu) on the system.

Before buying, I am looking for user comments.. People who have
already used this..

or any other hp compaq notebooks.. how r they ?

worth their money ? good ? bad ? ugly ? wonderful ?
heat too much ? too much noise ? how do the parts behave..

general stuff like that...

I appreciate all input.

regards
raghav..

[email protected] June 28th 07 10:11 PM

Hp Compaq 6510b/6710b

On Jun 28, 4:51 am, Raghav wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to buy a new laptop for my development related needs.
I already have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron and the new one will replace
it for my technical needs.

I plan to put a Sizable linux partition (Ubuntu) on the system.

Before buying, I am looking for user comments.. People who have
already used this..

or any other hp compaq notebooks.. how r they ?

worth their money ? good ? bad ? ugly ? wonderful ?
heat too much ? too much noise ? how do the parts behave..

general stuff like that...

I appreciate all input.

regards
raghav..

One thing i've seen with the newer hp and compaqs I don't like is the
touchpad. The ones that have the touchpad painted silver. What
happens is *everyone* wears away the silver coating in short order,
just by using it normally. The pad still works fine. But it's darn
ugly.

Reliability-wise, the ones with the amd processors have a higher
failure rate. I can't speak to the newest models just yet.

Getting wireless stuff to work in linux can be a headache. Due to the
limited availability of drivers.

Raghav July 8th 07 12:37 PM

Hp Compaq 6510b/6710b

On Jun 28, 11:11 pm, " wrote:
On Jun 28, 4:51 am, Raghav wrote:

[...]

limited availability of drivers.- Hide quoted text -

I post this just so that others know.

HP Compaq 6710b does not work with Ubuntu out of the box...
especially
as in "It just works".

There is a mountain of issues to be solved, before you might get it
running...I haven't succeeded yet.

Probably, its too new...a hardware piece for Ubuntu Feisty Fawn...

gud luck..

cheers
raghav..

[email protected] July 8th 07 08:44 PM

Hp Compaq 6510b/6710b

On Jul 8, 4:37 am, Raghav wrote:
On Jun 28, 11:11 pm, " wrote:

On Jun 28, 4:51 am, Raghav wrote:

[...]

Linux usually needs a year or two to catch up on new hardware.

What are your top issues?