HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Aldi Medion - ATI 9600TX - Engineer visit :( (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=41132)

Dom Robinson August 13th 03 01:28 PM

Aldi Medion - ATI 9600TX - Engineer visit :(

Previous google post about this he http://tinyurl.com/jvsg

Well, the engineer came at 11am, looked at the output on the TV (s-video) and
said he could replace the graphics card but that it wouldn't make a blind bit
of difference as that's the kind of picture you can expect when putting the PC
through to a TV, due to a TV's standard refresh rate. (Even though I had no
such problem with the ATI Radeon 8500LE 64Mb)

So, feeling dejected because I was really hoping this would sort it, I went
downstairs to make a brew while I let him get on with changing the card over.
He didn't want a brew as he "would be off in 5-10 minutes".

Then, when I came back upstairs the PC had booted up and the problem had gone.
I was well chuffed. Then he left. Then, over the next 30 minutes the problem
returned, not as bad as it was with the previous card but it's still there to
a degree and so I'm still not happy and I'll get back on to Medion but I'm
trying to get some feedback in the newsgroups first.

Also, the composite output isn't working on this one either, even with the
s-video unplugged in case there was a conflict (should there be?). Is there
somewhere in the display properties that allows me to switch this on? I looked
through them but couldn't find anything specific to it.

If a replacement ATI 9600TX isn't doing the trick, I'll ask Medion about
replacing it with the next card up, even if it means me buying the card from
elsewhere and getting the money back from Medion, since I'd rather not wait in
on a call-out all day again just to be disappointed again.

I'll look forward to any replies or help people can give. TIA,
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)

Dom Robinson August 18th 03 11:14 PM

In article ,
says...
If a replacement ATI 9600TX isn't doing the trick, I'll ask Medion about
replacing it with the next card up, even if it means me buying the card from
elsewhere and getting the money back from Medion, since I'd rather not wait in
on a call-out all day again just to be disappointed again.

And Medion's response to my email? It's summed up in my email to ATI, asking
for their opinion on the situation, although they said in an earlier on that
since the card isn't a "Built by ATI" product then they can effectively wash
their hands of the problem (not their exact words, but you get the idea)

"Dear ****,

Thanks for your recent emails. It was only last week when Medion's engineers
got the ATI Radeon 9600TX 128Mb back in stock and they replaced the card.
However, while the replacement card is a lot better in terms of the
interference that it allows through the s-video output, there's still some
interference apparent, and I've excluded anything else in the room from
being the cause of the trouble as I've switched everything apart from the PC
off to see if that helped, and also connected the s-video lead up to another
output in case it was the TV.

However, since the replacement card is a lot better I feel this must be some
technical issue with the card and, hence, I would be very grateful if you
could give me some advice on this before I go back to Medion, as they now
want to take the PC in for testing whereas I feel a replacement ATI graphics
card, of one better than the ATI 9600TX, must be the solution.

In my previous PC, I had an ATI Radeon 8500LE 64Mb card and this had none of
the problems I'm having with this one. Please can you tell me if the cause
of the problems may just be down to the fact that the ATI 9600TX cards are
just not up to scratch?

Thanks in advance,

Dom Robinson
Editor, DVDfever.co.uk"
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
/* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs & news
/* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
"Your eyes, they take me... to eternity." - Natalie Imbruglia, Identify