HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   "Holographic data storage could cram 1,000 DVDs onto a 4-in squarefilm" (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198779)

Lynn McGuire[_3_] April 10th 18 07:56 PM

"Holographic data storage could cram 1,000 DVDs onto a 4-in squarefilm"

"Holographic data storage could cram 1,000 DVDs onto a 4-in square film"
https://newatlas.com/holographic-dat...ge-film/54117/

So, 8.5 TB on a holographic device ?

I think that I have heard this song before.

Lynn

VanguardLH[_2_] April 10th 18 11:34 PM

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Holographic data storage could cram 1,000 DVDs onto a 4-in square film"
https://newatlas.com/holographic-dat...ge-film/54117/

So, 8.5 TB on a holographic device ?

I think that I have heard this song before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_optical_data_storage
"The origins of the field date back to the 1950s, when Yehuda Hirshberg
developed the photochromic spiropyrans and suggested their use in data
storage."

Too early for my lifetime but ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage
"In 1975, Hitachi introduced a video disc system in which chrominance,
luminance and sound information were encoded holographically."

Computer Nerd Kev April 10th 18 11:39 PM

Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Holographic data storage could cram 1,000 DVDs onto a 4-in square film"
https://newatlas.com/holographic-dat...ge-film/54117/

So, 8.5 TB on a holographic device ?

I think that I have heard this song before.

At least they claim to have advanced something in regards to the UV
resistance. However I'm not sure why a protective case like that of
a 3.5" floppy wouldn't have been an earlier solution to the UV
problem if that was the only thing holding the technology back.

--
__ __