HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=189605)

Netman September 9th 11 09:53 PM

Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking

Hello!

I am interested in overclocking future Intel i7 3930K
processor which will be realeased Nov 15th 2011.

On the following page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

I have read that this processor has "limited unlock".

I don`t know if we have to say about it regarding
to games or overclocking.

Can you tell me how many Ghz can be overclocked
in this processor using middle cost cooler or high cost
coolers? I`m not interested on cooling using nitrogen.

I know that this processor haven`t been realesed yet
but people that overclocked processors can say
approximately how many more Ghz can be achieved.

Thank you in advance
Netm.

Jim[_31_] September 12th 11 03:38 PM

Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,3026-4.html
Limited overclock=max multi is 57 or 5.7GHZ at 100MHZ BCLCK
5GHZ seems to be the limit for 2500/2600K.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...nd-o-c-results

Jim[_31_] September 12th 11 05:50 PM

Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking

Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

Netman September 13th 11 09:31 PM

Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking

Uzytkownik "Jim" napisal w wiadomosci
Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

Is it true that the processor overclocking is
not good for liveness of the processor?
Is it true that such overclocked processor
uses up quciker? I mean physics look of
such overclocking. Higher temperature
is not a good thing for such processor,
isn`t it?

Thank you for help
Netm

Sjouke Burry[_2_] September 13th 11 10:18 PM

Netman wrote:
Uzytkownik "Jim" napisal w wiadomosci
Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

Is it true that the processor overclocking is
not good for liveness of the processor?
Is it true that such overclocked processor
uses up quciker? I mean physics look of
such overclocking. Higher temperature
is not a good thing for such processor,
isn`t it?

Thank you for help
Netm

Every 6 degrees Celcius raise, halves the life of a silicon device.
So, yes overclocking is a bad idea, unless you have an oversupply
of money.

Tony Marsili September 17th 11 03:24 AM

Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking

On Sep 13, 5:18*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Netman wrote:
Uzytkownik "Jim" napisal w wiadomosci
m...
Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

Is it true that the processor overclocking is
not good for liveness of the processor?
Is it true that such overclocked processor
uses up quciker? I mean physics look of
such overclocking. Higher temperature
is not a good thing for such processor,
isn`t it?

Thank you for help
Netm

Every 6 degrees Celcius raise, halves the life of a silicon device.
So, yes overclocking is a bad idea, unless you have an oversupply
of money.

Where do you come up with such an arbitrary number? I can do it too.
So every 6 degrees raise I half the life of silicon device? The
normal life of a silicon device is what, 800 million years (see that's
my arbitrary number there).

The facts are that I've had my overclocked p4 system running for
almost every day 24 hours a day for 12 years. The pace of technology
far overreaches the slight hit on processor life with overclocking.

Sjouke Burry[_2_] September 18th 11 02:42 AM

Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking

Tony Marsili wrote:
On Sep 13, 5:18 pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Netman wrote:
[...]

The 6 degrees double the leakage current and cause inrceased diffusion
of n/p layers, Enough diffusion kills a n/p diode.
The diffusion depends exponentially on temperature.
At say 25 percent of max power, a semiconductor can survive thousands
of years, at full power a transistor has a live of 4 years.
But if you dont care/believe, just go ahead and kill your stuff.