HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=14492)

We Live for the One we Die for the One June 12th 04 11:01 PM

Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.

He just wants a pc that will last a bit longer are their any 940 mobos
out ? and when you plug or if you can plug a 754 cpu into it will it
be dual channel or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
backs benifits ?

Thanks.

Peter van der Goes June 12th 04 11:23 PM

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" Mr wrote in
message ...

Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.

He just wants a pc that will last a bit longer are their any 940 mobos
out ? and when you plug or if you can plug a 754 cpu into it will it
be dual channel or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
backs benifits ?

Thanks.

This is a joke, right? What do you think the numbers 754 and 940 represent?
(Hint: # of pins).
Try using Google.

We Live for the One we Die for the One June 12th 04 11:33 PM

Sorry i mean the two diff 64 bit cpu types 939 940 :) well i think i
do :)

Will Dormann June 12th 04 11:36 PM

We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:

Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

Absolutely. Just make sure your tool kit has a hammer, though, or you
might not get it to fit.

-WD

xman Charlie June 13th 04 12:21 AM

"Will Dormann" wrote in message
We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:

Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

Absolutely. Just make sure your tool kit has a hammer, though, or you
might not get it to fit.

-WD

Makes a good key fob for your key rings...

my 2 cents

rstlne June 14th 04 01:40 AM

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" Mr wrote in
message ...

Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.

Dear god

is it to the stage now where you have to lie to us..
JUST GO BUY YOUR NEW COMPUTER KIT AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS.
You'll never actually be able to buy the top line kit after a month of
research. It's really impossible.. by the time you have EVERY answer that
you want then it's time to ask more questions..
JUST GO BUY SOMETHING.

Canus_Lupis June 14th 04 09:04 AM

"rstlne" wrote in message

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" Mr wrote in
message ...

Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.

Dear god

is it to the stage now where you have to lie to us..
JUST GO BUY YOUR NEW COMPUTER KIT AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS.
You'll never actually be able to buy the top line kit after a month of
research. It's really impossible.. by the time you have EVERY answer that
you want then it's time to ask more questions..
JUST GO BUY SOMETHING.

He would love to go out and buy a new computer but he is not allowed to
cross the street on his own.

johny June 14th 04 10:11 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2004...et_939-02.html

According to this article 939pin CPU will fit into the 940 socket, no it
won't boot, but it will fit, unfortunately for people like the one who
started this thread. Bytheway, NO, YOU CAN'T PLUG 754 PIN CPU INTO SOCKET
940 MOBO!

940pin cpu is for Socket 940
939pin cpu is for Socket 939
754pin cpu is for Socket 754
478pin cpu is for Socket 478
462pin cpu is for Socket A
etc. and don't try anything stupid

Tim June 14th 04 04:16 PM

"Will Dormann" wrote in message

Absolutely. Just make sure your tool kit has a hammer, though, or you
might not get it to fit.

Nonsense Lay the CPU on the mobo then back over it with an SUV. And wear a
grounding strap for God's sake. I can't believe the misinformation around
here.

We Live for the One we Die for the One June 14th 04 06:01 PM

Yep that worked, thats how i got my old Socket 7 cpu into the Pentium
2 board still working to this day :p