HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Replaced HD in Compaq 5000/5SPXE1 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=93966)

[email protected] April 7th 05 04:03 AM

Replaced HD in Compaq 5000/5SPXE1

The original hard drive on this machine crapped out. I replaced the
hard drive and then ran the QuickRestore program which ran to
completion. However, once all 3 of the disks have been run through and
it kicks out the last to do the reboot, the machine still does not
work. It comes up with "Non-system disk or disk error...".

The OS is XP Home. Does anyone have any ideas?

Earl F. Parrish April 8th 05 03:07 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
The original hard drive on this machine crapped out. I replaced
the
hard drive and then ran the QuickRestore program which ran to
completion. However, once all 3 of the disks have been run
through and
it kicks out the last to do the reboot, the machine still does not
work. It comes up with "Non-system disk or disk error...".

The OS is XP Home. Does anyone have any ideas?

Were you require to do any preparation of the hard drive first such
as FDISK to make the partition active?

--
Earl F. Parrish

Randy April 11th 05 02:31 AM

It wasn't required, but I did run FDISK after the fisrt couple of
failed attempts.

Nicholas D Richards April 11th 05 12:36 PM

In article .com,
writes
The original hard drive on this machine crapped out. I replaced the
hard drive and then ran the QuickRestore program which ran to
completion. However, once all 3 of the disks have been run through and
it kicks out the last to do the reboot, the machine still does not
work. It comes up with "Non-system disk or disk error...".

The OS is XP Home. Does anyone have any ideas?

It could be that your BIOS is not correctly identifying your new drive.

Have you checked for any jumpers on the back of the original hard disk?

Your new disk should be configured as the master drive and be on the
primary IDE port.

Check that the BIOS recognises the new disk, correctly. You will need
to check your documentation as to how to get into the BIOS for your
machine.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"

HH April 12th 05 12:04 PM

Most Compaqs ship with Cable Select (CS) IDE cables and the drives jumpered
for CS, not master/slave.
HH

"Nicholas D Richards" wrote in message
In article .com,
writes

Randy April 16th 05 01:30 AM

All jumpers are set the same, the drive is on the end of the cable.
However through some other research I had found that Compaqs
recommendation of ressetting the BIOS to defaults created more problems
than it solved as it started looking for network boot functions. I
have since corrected that, but still have not had success. I am
currently running fdisk again to skip the settings established by the
QR process which I now suspect as being incorrect for a larger hard
drive size. I will keep you updated....

Randy April 16th 05 02:04 AM

Although Compaq has told me it is a problem with the HD, I am not
convinced it is a hardware drive configuration, unless it is not
compatible with the QR program. I do not think the disk partitioning
provided in the QR program is configuring the hard drive correctly.
When
trying to run the QR program, during the portion from disk #1 where it
is a
"windows looking" restore program (as opposed to the red & blue screen
throughout the remainder of the process) it gets to 30% and stops
returning:
"Error #1822, Error: No partitions selected" From here it reboots and
continues running the QR program through the "dos looking" (red & blue
screens). But it comes back to non-system disk, which I think is
because it
does not complete this one step. I have tried to manually partition
the hard drive through fdisk & format to the settings that would be
acceptable to the QR program that would prevent the QR process from
re-partitioning. However, this still invokes the QR to re-configure....

thefriend May 8th 05 11:16 PM

Qr disks fdisk and format in the process of restoring.
You may have a bad restore disk.
Also when you try to fdisk go to 4 I think disk info and see if there is a
non dos partition as part 1.
If it is then through fdisk, delete it.
That may be your problem.

What are you using to fdisk or format the drive with?