HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   SATA hard disks (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=19433)

Richard Milser April 4th 04 05:41 PM

SATA hard disks

Hi

Has anyone seen a comprehensive review of SATA hard disks available?? What
companies would users recommend regarding speed / noise etc. I have heard
good things about both Seagate and Samsung : does this group agree?

Thanks

Richard

jpsga April 6th 04 01:13 AM

By far the best place to find this data is
http://www.storagereview.com

All they do drives.

JPS

Louise April 20th 04 05:51 AM

In article 6Dmcc.190025$1p.2204802@attbi_s54,
says...
By far the best place to find this data is
http://www.storagereview.com

All they do drives.

JPS

"Richard Milser" wrote in message
Hi

Has anyone seen a comprehensive review of SATA hard disks available?? What
companies would users recommend regarding speed / noise etc. I have heard
good things about both Seagate and Samsung : does this group agree?

Thanks

Richard

Seagates are delightfully quiet (the internal drives). I am extremely
sensitive to the high pitched whine that is frequently present - but
never with Seagates.

I've also had good reliability from them.

Louise

leza April 20th 04 05:18 PM

Hi Richard
Yes you should go with SATA instead of the Parallel ATA.. SATA takes
less voltage 2v than the PATA and the SATA cable is thinner, more
flexible and better than the ribbon cables of PATA. SATA use serial
sigaling while the PATA use parallel signaling. Crosstalk and
Electromagnatic interface with SATA is less than the PATA..

1) Samsung has high seek time and it is higher than what they claim in
the manual
2) Maxtor, good and quite but high seek time as well 9.5ms
3) Western is the best choice.. low seek time 5.5ms and quite
4) Seagate!! not sure but I am reading in the internet somone said he
has a problem installing SATA and it is not compatiable with PATA. SO
I would avoid it
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/24794/

HTH

Justice Gustine April 21st 04 06:39 AM

Louise wrote:

Seagates are delightfully quiet (the internal drives). I am extremely
sensitive to the high pitched whine that is frequently present - but
never with Seagates.

I've also had good reliability from them.

Louise

Agree too.

Out: Maxtor 80GB

In: Seagate7200.7 Barracuda 120g

Quiet - yes, very. The Maxtor was ok at first, but was beginning to
sound like an old Kelvinator fridge.

Install - No surprises, other than it working the first time.
Recognized by motherboard, and Norton Ghost. Ghost moved all the
Max's data to it.

Performance: Better.

Next: out with the 120g 5400 rpm Maxtor.
--
"A Sound Mind. A Healthy Body. Pick One" Mr. Hedge