HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Iomega vs LaCie NAS (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=164243)

[email protected] January 20th 08 09:52 PM

Iomega vs LaCie NAS

Hi!

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap 500GB RAID1 NAS solution for a
small office. I've narrowed the choice to these two:

LaCie 2Big 1TB
and
Iomega 1TB Network HardDrive

But I am worried with the transfer rate these solutions provide. I
intend to run them on a 100Base-T netowrk and expect a throughput of
some 10Mb/s (that's megabytes). Will these devices provide me with
that?

Edwin Cooke January 20th 08 11:47 PM

Iomega vs LaCie NAS (the tradeoff)

krwoloq*gmail.com wrote:

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap XXX ...
But I am worried with the transfer rate...
...I expect a throughput of YYY

The unavoidable triangle tradeoff:

GOOD
/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
--------
FAST CHEAP

"Pick any two!"

--
Edwin

nik Simpson January 21st 08 03:19 AM

Iomega vs LaCie NAS

wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap 500GB RAID1 NAS solution for a
small office. I've narrowed the choice to these two:

LaCie 2Big 1TB
and
Iomega 1TB Network HardDrive

But I am worried with the transfer rate these solutions provide. I
intend to run them on a 100Base-T netowrk and expect a throughput of
some 10Mb/s (that's megabytes). Will these devices provide me with
that?

These things tend to be all drive and very little else, i.e. wimpy
processor, no memory (or very little) to cache etc, so they do all right
handling a single stream of data from one client, but degrade horribly
when you load up multiple clients all trying to I/O at the same time. My
bet is that you could probably get 10MB/s on a good with a following
wind handling a single client do large block I/O. On a small office
network with multiple clients reading and writing typical "office"
files, I'd be very surprised if either device got anywhere near 10MB/s
sustained.

--
Nik Simpson

Doug White January 21st 08 02:32 PM

Iomega vs LaCie NAS

Hi!

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap 500GB RAID1 NAS solution for a
small office. I've narrowed the choice to these two:

LaCie 2Big 1TB
and
Iomega 1TB Network HardDrive

But I am worried with the transfer rate these solutions provide. I
intend to run them on a 100Base-T netowrk and expect a throughput of
some 10Mb/s (that's megabytes). Will these devices provide me with
that?

Check out benchmarks at:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30147/75/

The Iomega did pretty poorly compared to others, and if the RAID dies,
you lose all your data during a rebuild. I wouldn't touch this with a 10
foot pole.

They don't seem to have a review of the LaCie 2Big drive, but other LaCie
products don't seem too stellar in performance.

Doug White

Cydrome Leader January 21st 08 04:11 PM

Iomega vs LaCie NAS

wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap 500GB RAID1 NAS solution for a
small office. I've narrowed the choice to these two:

LaCie 2Big 1TB
and
Iomega 1TB Network HardDrive

But I am worried with the transfer rate these solutions provide. I
intend to run them on a 100Base-T netowrk and expect a throughput of
some 10Mb/s (that's megabytes). Will these devices provide me with
that?

you might actually be better off with a spare windows machine and two
500GB disks for the data.

Software raid under windows is actually pretty robust, plus you can
actually add a tape drive and do backups, which is always a good idea.