HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   AIW8500DV tuner problem - recent MS DirectX update? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=40841)

/mel/ July 24th 03 05:38 PM

AIW8500DV tuner problem - recent MS DirectX update?

(I'm having a conversation with myself here, but hopefully it might help
others).

If you have an AIW do NOT install the DirectX 9.0b update. I found the
thread at http://tinyurl.com/hxor which shows that others hare having tuning
problems too.

--
/mel/

np:

Sławomir Żaboklicki July 24th 03 08:54 PM

Użytkownik "erratic" napisał w wiadomości ...
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:27:59 +0100, "/mel/"
wrote:

This morning I suddenly I find that the tuning of my AIW is completely
buggered. Last night I installed the recent MS DirectX 9.0b and the security
update.

So far it appears to be a PAL tuner problem. We're waiting to hear from
NTSC users who have installed DirectX 9.0b (which is a critical update
after all). Does it screw up the NTSC tuner as well?

I thing the best is to try system restore to version befor upgrade and
wait for new verion of Catalyst
SZ

erratic July 24th 03 09:10 PM

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:54:55 +0200, Sławomir Żaboklicki
wrote:

I thing the best is to try system restore to version befor upgrade and
wait for new verion of Catalyst

I'm in PAL land and I have installed DX 9.0b already. I'm keeping it,
even though my ATI TV tuner no longer works, because DX 9.0b fixes a
security issue: http://www.iexbeta.com/comments.php?id=1303&catid=2

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33700362

Larry July 25th 03 05:06 AM

No issues on an AIW Radeon (MMC 8.1) and AIW Radeon 9000 Pro (MMC 8.5),
both tuners are NTSC. Using latest Cat 3.6.

I grabbed the latest security updates and DX9.0b. Running Win2K Pro/SP4.

It's always something half-ass with ATI, hopefully this will be resolved
soon for you guys...

Larry

/mel/ wrote:
This morning I suddenly I find that the tuning of my AIW is completely
buggered. Last night I installed the recent MS DirectX 9.0b and the security
update.

Coincidence? Anyone else got this?

/mel/ July 25th 03 08:52 PM

Larry wrote:

No issues on an AIW Radeon (MMC 8.1) and AIW Radeon 9000 Pro (MMC
8.5),
both tuners are NTSC. Using latest Cat 3.6.

I grabbed the latest security updates and DX9.0b. Running Win2K
Pro/SP4.

Yes, it would seem that NTSC users aren't affected. I've opted for
re-installing a backup and not installing 9.0b. I do have the security
update as a separate install but haven't yet tried to see if that screws it
too.

--
/mel/

np:

patrickp July 25th 03 10:59 PM

wrote:

I thing the best is to try system restore to version befor upgrade and
wait for new verion of Catalyst

I'm in PAL land and I have installed DX 9.0b already. I'm keeping it,
even though my ATI TV tuner no longer works, because DX 9.0b fixes a
security issue: http://www.iexbeta.com/comments.php?id=1303&catid=2

ArcCoyote writes that it doesn't seem to be affecting NTSC AIWs:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33700362

There is a security only fix; see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/MS03-030.asp. If you're
having problems with the DX update (which is considerably more than the
security fix), it might be best to stick to that.

patrickp

/mel/ July 26th 03 11:35 AM

patrickp wrote:

I'm in PAL land and I have installed DX 9.0b already. I'm keeping it,
even though my ATI TV tuner no longer works, because DX 9.0b fixes a
security issue: http://www.iexbeta.com/comments.php?id=1303&catid=2

ArcCoyote writes that it doesn't seem to be affecting NTSC AIWs:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33700362

There is a security only fix; see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/MS03-030.asp. If
you're having problems with the DX update (which is considerably more
than the security fix), it might be best to stick to that.

Yep - installing *just* the security patch (DirectX9-KB819696-x86-ENU.exe)
and *not* DX9.0b does work. At least it does for me. YMMV.

--
/mel/

np: