HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq Presario S3010CL Max Memory (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=190954)

Ken Wampach March 4th 12 08:37 PM

Compaq Presario S3010CL Max Memory

We have an old Compaq Presario S3010CL DF250A-ABA (purchased
from Sam's Club in July of 2003) that came with a 256MB module
in one slot and we immediately added a 512MB module in the
second slot.

I am curious whether I can replace the 256MB module with a 1GB
module.

According to the Compaq S3010CL Specifications posted on the hp
site, it uses the Athlon XP2200+ processor, KM266 chipset, and
is limited to 1GB.
According to the HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -Motherboard
Specifications, MS-6390 (Crossfire) (The specification was
downloaded 3/20/2007), that motherboard is limited to 1GB. I
could not find anything on the Compaq/HP site that absolutely
linked that MB to the S3010CL, although I thought I saw
something there long ago.

Memory vendors disagree an what the S3010CL can handle:
Crucial.com (2)512MB modules
memory-up.com (2)1GB modules
OKmemory.com (2)1GB modules

I believe our S3010CL uses the MSI(MicroStar) MS-6390
motherboard. The manuals for that motherboard say it can support
(2)1GB modules. Crucial.com says that the MS-6390 can support
(2)1GB modules, with a warning "Not to exceed manufacturer
supported memory.

Does anyone know what the real limit is?
Has anyone tried a 1GB module in the S3010CL or another member
of the Presario S3000 family?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
--
Ken Wampach - FirstNameATLastNameDOTorg