HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to get into the setup on a Phoenix BIOS? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=186141)

T. Keating September 16th 10 03:00 PM

How to get into the setup on a Phoenix BIOS?

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:12:28 -0700 (PDT), Ted Shoemaker
wrote:

Hello,

Someone gave me an old Dell.

When I tried to start it, the BIOS required a password, which I
didn't know. The usual backdoor passwords didn't get any results, so
I removed and replaced the CMOS battery. That got me past the
password, but now the BIOS has forgotten everything else it's
supposed
to do, also.

How do I get into the setup, so as to start using the machine? It's
looking for something particular (details below); what do I tell it?

I've pressed Del, F2, Esc, and a lot of other keys, trying to
enter the setup. Nothing happens.

Following is the relevant information from the startup screen.

= = = = = =

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
4S4EB2X0.10A.0032.P10

Dell Dimension XPS T800r
BIOS Version A09

SERIAL PRESENCE DETECT (SPD) device data missing or inconclusive.

Press Del to enter SETUP.

Connect a keyboard up using the PS2 port.
Either using a native PS2 keyboard or via USB/PS2 (purple) keyboard
adapter.

On some systems the Bios doesn't initialise the USB properly until the
OS drivers are running.. (same goes for activating the F8 key
windows safe boot mode).

(Please don't tell me just to get a new computer. That's not the
question.)

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

You're welcome.