HardwareBanter

-   Storage & Hardrives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   changing disk size in RAID 5 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=167068)

morales April 3rd 08 05:04 PM

changing disk size in RAID 5

Hi,

At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
5?

The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when we create
the array, or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help

Roberto Morales

fx [François-Xavier Peretmere] April 3rd 08 05:55 PM

changing disk size in RAID 5

on the 3/04/08 18:04 morales wrote the following:
Hi,

At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
5?

The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when we create
the array, or am I wrong?

Theoretically, you could add a bigger disk and the RAID controller will use
only as much space as there's on the smallest disk of the RAID aggregate -
36.4 Gb out of 72 or 142 in your case. That should be true not only when
creating the RAID, but also when replacing a disk. I came across such a
situation a long time ago and it just worked - but that was not with HP
gears, and it was no critical data, so I just tried.

If critical indeed and messing up is not an option, you might want to ask HP
before trying, after all support is here for that :-)

Fx

--
Having been erased,
The document you're seeking

Alfred Falk April 3rd 08 07:55 PM

changing disk size in RAID 5

morales wrote in news:252383f2-5d66-4c7b-be80-
:

Hi,

At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
5?

The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when we create
the array, or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help

Roberto Morales

All recent RAID controllers that I've seen allow you to put in any disk
that is at least as large as the one you are replacing. Try reading the
documentation for the RAID controller or calling HP.

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk

R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/

morales April 4th 08 01:07 AM

changing disk size in RAID 5

On Apr 3, 9:55*am, "fx [François-Xavier Peretmere]"
wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately I had made 5 phone calls to HP MExico and I just receive
must of the times the automatic voice and an infinite options that
finally no one work to me; later if I am lucky a human being answer me
and tell that I need to dial another phone number or wait in line
until they cut they call!! Just because the server is not in warranty
or I do not have a contract for tech support.

Anyway, thank you Fx and Alfred Falk for your info.

Saludos desde Mexico ;)
Morales

Cydrome Leader April 5th 08 06:35 AM

changing disk size in RAID 5

morales wrote:
Hi,

At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

It works fine, I've done it many times on HP systems.

[email protected] April 8th 08 12:26 PM

changing disk size in RAID 5

On Apr 3, 9:04*pm, morales wrote:
Hi,

At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
5?

The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when *we create
the array, or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help

Roberto Morales

I think only 36.4 GB of the disk will be utilised, the rest of the
space not used.

Jack.
http://programmingsite.googlepages.com

Cydrome Leader April 9th 08 04:12 PM

changing disk size in RAID 5

wrote:
On Apr 3, 9:04?pm, morales wrote:
Hi,

At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
5?

The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when ?we create
the array, or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help

Roberto Morales

I think only 36.4 GB of the disk will be utilised, the rest of the
space not used.

correct. This leftover space is still usable if you create more logical
drives in the raid controller BIOS or with the ACU.

morales April 17th 08 06:17 AM

changing disk size in RAID 5

On Apr 9, 9:12*am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 3, 9:04?pm, morales wrote:
[...]

THANKS to "clear" my mind. We are going to buy the Disk and I will
inform you the results.
thanks again

Roberto Morales
Mexico

[email protected] April 21st 08 04:50 PM

changing disk size in RAID 5

Hello...

Very interested to hear the results...how's it going?

Thanks,
Chris