HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   p5n32-sli se deluxe and Vista x64 and 2gb (slow enough) then 4gb (horribly slow issues) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=156484)

markm75 August 26th 07 03:36 AM

p5n32-sli se deluxe and Vista x64 and 2gb (slow enough) then 4gb (horribly slow issues)

Has anyone had trouble running Vista x64 on this motherboard.. In this
case.. with only 2GB of memory?

I have a 1.86 Core2 CPU, the memory is the Corsair Twin2x2048-6400
(5-5-5-12) 800mhz ram...

For awhile I ran just 2GB of the memory.. things were often slow.. not
consistently though.. Sometimes, just cliking on an explorer shortcut
would take say 15 seconds to open the window instead of the usual say
2 seconds.. or opening an IE window would take just as long.. quite
bad..

I did note that on startup svchost.exe was churning on 100% cpu for
awhile (takes about 8 minutes to fully load everything, and i do have
alot of startup items).. I tried right clicking in taskmanager the
svchost.exe to see services affected and there were a bunch.. This
100% usually goes away once the 8 min load is done...

Often.. the sluggishness would still be going on even without the CPU
% very high.. So I dont think this case was cpu % issues...

So today I put in 2gb more, giving me 4gb of memory.. I bootup.. I
noted that the TrustedInstaller.exe was sitting at 100% and never went
down.. opening windows was horrible.. 40 seconds or more until various
windows would come up.. I read somewhere to disable the service
Windows Distrubtion service or similar (trustedinstaller) .. i'd
rather not do this permanently.. What was odd, was before doing this..
if i removed the 2GB of extra ram, the trustedinstaller didnt stay
pegged at 100%.. things responded..

So I disabled the service.. tried 4gb again.. still very sluggish.. I
noted that svchost.exe was sucking up 100% again.. even after
booting.. I saw these services under it:
Audio Endpoint, Builder, CSCService, hid service, ip bus enum, netman,
pcisvc, sysmain, trkwks, umrdpservice, uxsms, wdi systemhost, wpd bus
enum, wudfsvc..

I then read on the forum for Asus, some said this board has issues
running 800mhz ram.. they suggested setting the voltage on the
NorthBridge to 1.5 and/or setting the ram to 667MHZ.. I tried either/
or/both.. and sluggishness continued.. So that fix didnt help alot,
though maybe a little (10%)..

I also noted that iexplorer.exe was about 50-100% at times, so i tried
clearing the cache.. Not sure if this has helped or not..

I have vmware 6.x installed as well.. so i just tried removing this
one.. Now my cpu is about 36% on average.. (Ie, at least the 64bit
version, so far not sucking alot)..

However, if i open internet explorer now.. it takes about 12 seconds
to load up (blank).. resources during this for iexplorer.exe still
climb to 38% or so.

I notice that Outlook.exe is often jumping up to 10-30%.. usually
around 2% though (hotmail accounts and rpc over http exchange
account)..

I've tried closing outlook, but things still lag.

Right now at this moment, I dont see any svchost.exe's sucking up
resources.. about the only thing is weatherbug at 12%..

Even closing the bug, still takes maybe 9 seconds open time for IE 32
bit. I did notice that x64 IE only takes about 5 seconds to come up
(blank page).

I should note I'm running all SATAII drives (seagate 160gb for the
OS).. I run 3 internal drives.. a 160gb C, 500GB D, 400GB E, an
esata F 400gb drive too.. the 3 internal drives are all really
removable, using the SATAII mobile rack cartdrige system (I pretty
sure I have tried running the drives outside the carts in case that
was a slowdown issue)... my video card is the nvidia 8600GT.

This is all quite frustrating.. my work pc (dell) is a 2.13 core2 with
4gb and x64 vista and runs like a dream..

Anyone know of any ideas on this one?

markm75 August 26th 07 01:51 PM

On Aug 25, 10:36 pm, markm75 wrote:
[...]

This may sound odd.. but setting the memory remap option in chipset to
enabled seems to have made things better.. my bootup times are the
same, but after that all is better.