HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Compaq Evo display zooms in/distorts (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=169091)

rgmw May 30th 08 06:28 PM

Compaq Evo display zooms in/distorts

I have a few users who have Compaq Evo's (not my choice!). In any
case, it seems like it's random behavior, but it must be initiated by
end-user action - in this case, unintended action.

It's as if the screen becomes virtual and is much larger than the
monitor can display; to "move" around the screen, the user uses the
cursor control keys. The display appears pixelated (as in a bad
digital transmission).

I have not seen this first hand, but I'm supposed to be called when it
happens.

The PC is a Compaq Evo D510 CMT with an Intel Graphics card. The OS is
WinXP SP2.

I have looked through the driver utility and haven't found a reference
to this "feature". It doesn't seem to be initiated by MS Accessibility
options (as in the screen magnifier, which has a distinctly different
action).

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Dean-MN May 30th 08 07:25 PM

rgmw wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Sounds like Magnifier. To open Magnifier, click Start, point to All
Programs, point to Accessories, point to Accessibility, and then click
Magnifier. I don't see how Magnifier could be started inadvertently by
drilling down into the start menu. Maybe Compaq has a button somewhere...
Dean

rgmw May 30th 08 07:31 PM

On May 30, 2:25 pm, "Dean-MN" wrote:
rgmw wrote:
[...]

That was my first thought, but it's not. Magnifier takes up only the
top portion of the screen. This "feature" takes up the whole screen.
I'm still open to ideas.

Dean-MN May 30th 08 07:34 PM

Dean-MN wrote:
rgmw wrote:
[...]

Even as I was typing I felt something wasn't right. I hate it when the
advice is the same as "I've already tried..." Sorry... Dean