HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Uniquely identify a PC (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=123771)

[email protected] March 30th 06 10:02 AM

Uniquely identify a PC

I got the following information from http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm,

The WPA system checks ten categories of hardwa

1. Display Adapter
2. SCSI Adapter
3. IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
4. Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
5. RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
6. Processor Type
7. Processor Serial Number
8. Hard Drive Device
9. Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
10. CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

Is there an easy way to obtain the above information such as using a
script? I am looking for ways to uniquely identify a PC.

thanks!

Dave (from the UK) April 1st 06 01:59 AM

Uniquely identify a PC

wrote:
I got the following information from
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm,

The WPA system checks ten categories of hardwa

1. Display Adapter
2. SCSI Adapter
3. IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
4. Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
5. RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
6. Processor Type
7. Processor Serial Number
8. Hard Drive Device
9. Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
10. CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

Is there an easy way to obtain the above information such as using a
script? I am looking for ways to uniquely identify a PC.

thanks!

Is this under DOS?

That is my guess for the operating system. If not, perhaps you can tell us what
OS it is, since it will matter quite a bit!!

--
Dave K MCSE.

Brad Houser April 3rd 06 08:38 PM

Uniquely identify a PC

wrote:
I got the following information from
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm,

The WPA system checks ten categories of hardwa

1. Display Adapter
2. SCSI Adapter
3. IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
4. Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
5. RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
6. Processor Type
7. Processor Serial Number
8. Hard Drive Device
9. Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
10. CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

Is there an easy way to obtain the above information such as using a
script? I am looking for ways to uniquely identify a PC.

thanks!

The problem is that of the above, only the Processor Serial Number is
guaranted (by Intel) to be unique, and due to privacy concerns, most PCs by
default have access to the number turned off in the BIOS.

Brad Houser