HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Old Compaq Presario 5711 C (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=99335)

Barb Clarke June 8th 05 05:08 PM

Old Compaq Presario 5711 C

I have an old Compaq Presario with a 466 Celeron Processor, 256 MB Ram,
12 GB Hard Drive. I have installed a USB 2 card. Would anyone know if I
can use an external USB Hard drive (say 40 GB)with this computer? I
understand there is a limitation on the size of an internal hard drive
with older Compaq computers. Could I expect a reasonable speed with an
external USB Drive?
Thanks in advance

Ben Myers June 8th 05 07:41 PM

It all depends.

The motherboard BIOS has some built-in limitation on its ability to recognize
the capacity of an IDE drive, but this limit does not apply to USB drives.

If the system is running an operating system which supports USB 2, complete with
USB 2 drivers, there is no problem. If the operating system only supports USB
1.1, then the drive will probably operate in a degraded USB 1.1 mode, but only
if the drive has its own external power source (transformer).

If the system is running an older version of Windows, there may be an operating
system limit on the maximum size of drive partition it supports... Ben Myers

barb June 8th 05 11:27 PM

Thanks, Ben. I have Win Xp Home and have installed a USB 2 card so I
hope a 40 GB Hard drive will work
Barb